How Do Changes in Temperature and Volume Affect Tire Pressure?

In summary: The pressure (P) and volume (V) of the tire remain constant. The number of moles (n) and the gas constant (R) are also constant. Therefore, the temperature (T) must increase in order to maintain the equation. Using the formula, the gauge pressure of the air in the tire is 2333.33 kPa when the temperature increases to 50 degrees celsius. If the tire expands by 10 percent, the new gauge pressure would be 2133.33 kPa. In summary, the gauge pressure of the air in the tire increases as the temperature increases and decreases as the volume increases.
shaiqbashir
Hi Guys!

im having trouble in solving this prob can u tell me the hints as well as the correct answer of this prob:

an automobile tire is filled to a gauge pressure of 2000 kPa when it is at an air temperature of 20 degree celsius. After the car has been driven at high speed, the tire temperature has increased to 50 degree celsius.

a) assuming that the volume of the tire has not changed, find the gauge pressure of the air in the tire(assuming the air to be an ideal gas).

b) calculate the gauge pressure if the tire expands so that its volume increases by 10 percent.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
shaiqbashir said:
Hi Guys!

im having trouble in solving this prob can u tell me the hints as well as the correct answer of this prob:

an automobile tire is filled to a gauge pressure of 2000 kPa when it is at an air temperature of 20 degree celsius. After the car has been driven at high speed, the tire temperature has increased to 50 degree celsius.

a) assuming that the volume of the tire has not changed, find the gauge pressure of the air in the tire(assuming the air to be an ideal gas).

b) calculate the gauge pressure if the tire expands so that its volume increases by 10 percent.

Thanks in advance

PV=nRT

Air is an ideal gas for the most part.

!

Hi there, solving this problem requires knowledge of the ideal gas law, which states that pressure and temperature are directly proportional to each other when volume and amount of gas are constant. Here are some hints to help you solve the problem:

a) To find the gauge pressure of the air in the tire, you can use the formula P1/T1 = P2/T2, where P1 and T1 are the initial pressure and temperature, and P2 and T2 are the final pressure and temperature. Remember to convert the temperatures to Kelvin (K = °C + 273.15) before plugging them into the equation.

b) To calculate the gauge pressure if the tire expands by 10%, you can use the formula P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2, where V1 and V2 are the initial and final volumes. Remember to convert the volume to the same unit (e.g. cm^3 or m^3) before plugging them into the equation.

I hope this helps you solve the problem! If you're still having trouble, feel free to ask for more hints or clarification. Good luck!

1. What causes tire wear?

Tire wear is primarily caused by friction from the road surface. Other factors that can contribute to tire wear include improper inflation, misalignment, and rough driving habits.

2. How often should I replace my tires?

The lifespan of a tire can vary depending on several factors, such as driving habits, road conditions, and type of tire. It is generally recommended to replace tires every 5-6 years or when the tread depth reaches 2/32 of an inch.

3. Can I repair a flat tire or do I need to replace it?

In some cases, a flat tire can be repaired if the puncture is small and not near the sidewall. However, if the damage is extensive or the tire is old and worn, it is recommended to replace it for safety reasons.

4. How can I tell if my tires are properly inflated?

The best way to check tire pressure is by using a tire pressure gauge. The recommended pressure can usually be found on a sticker inside the driver's door or in the owner's manual. It is important to check tire pressure regularly as it can affect the performance and lifespan of the tires.

5. How can I prevent tire problems?

To prevent tire problems, it is important to regularly check the tire pressure, rotate the tires every 5,000-6,000 miles, and have the alignment checked at least once a year. It is also important to drive cautiously and avoid rough terrain or potholes that can cause damage to the tires.