Ball in Cone Issue: Solving for Angle X

• Thread starter MechEgr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Cone
In summary, the problem at hand involves determining the angle X using a gage pin and a ball bearing. The known dimensions are D, H, T, and R, and the goal is to find the value for X using hand calculations. By using trigonometric calculations and equations, the angle X can be solved for by finding the values of A and B, and then using them to calculate X. The final value for X should be approximately 22 degrees.
MechEgr
Guys,

I have a problem I'm trying to solve for work (we're trying to inspect a hole, and I'm trying to determine its angle using a gage pin and a ball bearing).

An image of the problem is attached. The known dimensions which we can measure are shown in black, and I am trying to solve for the angle, X. I can get a value for X by plugging this into my CAD software, but I need to know how to solve for X using hand calculations so that the machinists can do it during production. The value for X should come out to be approximately 22 degrees. The four known dimensions, as shown, are D, H, T, and R. The part is symmetrical, and the sides of the partial cone are tangent to the circle.

Attachments

• Cone angle calc.JPG
    Cone angle calc.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 530
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'll give it a try...

Radius of the ball r=2.375
Cone height h= from the apex of angle X to the top of the ball.

tan(x) = R/(h-(H+T))
tan(x) = 1.5/(h-5)

and

tan(x) = r/(h-r)
tan(x) = 2.375/(h-2.375)

So, two equations in one variable, h

h=9.5

1.5/(9.5-5)=1.5/4.5=0.333...

2.375/(9.5-2.375)=2.375/7.125=0.333...

tan(18.5) is about 0.333

Thanks for the reply!

bahamagreen said:
tan(x) = r/(h-r)
Why? The point where circle and the tilted surface meet (what your denominator should be) is closer to the apex than the center of the ball (your denominator here).

You need the sine:

sin(x) = r/(h-r)
Solve for h: ##h=r+\frac{r}{\sin(x)}##
Plug this into tan(x) = R/(h-(H+T)):

$$\left(r+\frac{r}{\sin(x)}-(H+T)\right) tan(x) = R$$
Simplify:
$$r+(r-H-T)\sin(x)= R\cos(x)$$

Substitute ##\cos(x)=\sqrt{1-\sin^2(x)}##, square and you get a quadratic equation in sin(x) which you can solve with the usual formula.

Yeah, I was using the horizontal r but it is the angled r (at right angle to the cone slant) that is the correct one.

I found this method simpler (no quadratic):

Label the point at the center of the circle point O
Label the center of the bottom of the hole point D
Label the "corner" of the hole point E
Label the point where the circle touches the cone point F
Label the point a the (imaginary) apex of the cone point X, such that ∠OXF is ∠X

Connecting points O, D, E, & F gives us quadrilateral, ODEF
We know that the circle (the ball) is 0.25 from the bottom of the hole, so OD = 2.375 + 0.25 = 2.625
We know that DE = 1.5 (given)
We know that FO = 2.375 (given)
We know that ∠ODE = 90°
We know that ∠EFO = 90°

Draw line segment OE
Use trig to find ∠DEO: arctan(OD/DE) ≈ 60.255°
Use Pythagorean theorem to find length of OE ≈ 3.023
Use trig to find ∠OEF: arcsin(OF/OE) ≈ 51.772°
Angle DEF = ∠DEO + ∠OEF ≈ 112.027°

We can now find ∠DEX: 180° - ∠DEF ≈ 67.973°
This gives us ∠X: 90° - ∠DEX ≈ 22.027°

Attachments

• Drawing1-Layout1.jpg
    Drawing1-Layout1.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
So, to simplify...

Given the values D, R, H, and T, calculate the following 2 values:

[itex]A=H+T-\frac{D}{2}[/itex]

and

[itex]B=\sqrt{A^2 + R^2}[/itex]

Then,

[itex]\angle x=\arctan{\frac{A}{R}}+\arcsin{\frac{D}{2B}}-90[/itex]

or (if you prefer),

[itex]\angle x=\tan ^{-1}{\big(\frac{A}{R}\big)}+\sin ^{-1}{\big(\frac{D}{2B}\big)}-90[/itex]

Last edited:

1. What is the "Ball in Cone Issue"?

The "Ball in Cone Issue" is a problem in which a ball is placed inside a cone and the angle at which the ball is resting is unknown. This issue often arises in physics experiments and engineering projects.

2. Why is it important to solve for angle X in the "Ball in Cone Issue"?

Solving for angle X in the "Ball in Cone Issue" is important because it helps determine the stability and balance of the ball within the cone. It also allows for accurate calculations in various applications, such as determining the trajectory of a ball or the optimal placement of structures.

3. What are the methods for solving for angle X in the "Ball in Cone Issue"?

There are several methods for solving for angle X in the "Ball in Cone Issue". These include using trigonometric functions, using geometric principles, and using experimental data from trials with different angles. Each method has its own advantages and should be chosen based on the specific situation.

4. Can the "Ball in Cone Issue" be solved for any shape of cone?

Yes, the "Ball in Cone Issue" can be solved for any shape of cone, as long as the relevant dimensions and angles are known. This includes circular cones, elliptical cones, and even more complex shapes.

5. Are there any real-life applications of solving for angle X in the "Ball in Cone Issue"?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of solving for angle X in the "Ball in Cone Issue". These include designing stable structures, determining the optimal angle for ramps and slides, and understanding the behavior of objects rolling on surfaces. It is also useful in fields such as architecture, sports, and robotics.