Least amount of structure on a set to define a series on it

In summary, the conversation discussed defining sequences and series on a set ##X##, with different requirements for each. For a sequence to become a series, addition must be defined. The conversation also touched on the generalization of sequences and series, with the mention of nets as an alternative to sequences. The conversation also discussed the need for a topological space in order to talk about convergence, and the requirement for a multiplication function to be continuous in order for a topological semigroup to be formed.
V0ODO0CH1LD
I know I can define a sequence on a set ##X## as a function ##a:T\rightarrow{}X##, where ##T## is a countable totally ordered set. But what about series? Can I define a series as a function ##\omega{}:a\rightarrow{}A##, where ##A\in{}X##? Or is this too general to be a series? Do I need to define an operation on ##X## so that I can "add" the terms of the sequence?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For a sequence to become a series you need addition to be defined.

mathman said:
For a sequence to become a series you need addition to be defined.

So I've been looking into it and I think that might not be the case. As far as I understood it series (over a set ##X##?) behave like elements of a free abelian group or free Z-module with basis ##X##. So that even if there's no operation defined on ##X## I can define series over it. I don't get why does the set of all series over a set ##X## needs to have all properties of a free abelian group. So I am still confused.. Slightly less then before though!

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
I know I can define a sequence on a set ##X## as a function ##a:T\rightarrow{}X##, where ##T## is a countable totally ordered set.

You really want the notion of net not sequence. It has the same properties but only needs a directed set.

pwsnafu said:
You really want the notion of net not sequence. It has the same properties but only needs a directed set.

I though nets generalized sequences not series.

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
So I've been looking into it and I think that might not be the case. As far as I understood it series (over a set ##X##?) behave like elements of a free abelian group or free Z-module with basis ##X##. So that even if there's no operation defined on ##X## I can define series over it. I don't get why does the set of all series over a set ##X## needs to have all properties of a free abelian group. So I am still confused.. Slightly less then before though!

An Abelian group (or Z module) has an addition operation (by definition).

If you want an infinite series, you need to define a topology so you can talk about convergence, together with the notion of sum you referred to.

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
I though nets generalized sequences not series.

A series is a sequence of partial sums.

WWGD said:
If you want an infinite series, you need to define a topology so you can talk about convergence, together with the notion of sum you referred to.

If you want to talk about convergence of a sequence or series you need the sequence or series to be defined on a topological space, but I don't need the notion of convergence to define sequence and series.

mathman said:
An Abelian group (or Z module) has an addition operation (by definition).

Sure, but the Z-module is the set of series over a set not the set itself. That means I can sum series to each other and get a third series, but addition for the terms of the series is still not required.

WWGD said:
A series is a sequence of partial sums.

But I am fine with the generalization of sequences on a set as functions from countable totally ordered sets to that set.. My question is regarding generalizations of series given that definition of sequences not about generalization sequences into nets.

My question is: If I have a sequence ##a:\mathbb{N}\rightarrow{}X## and a function ##\sigma:X^\mathbb{N}\rightarrow{}Z## defined as
[tex] \sigma:a\mapsto\sum_{n=0}^\infty{}a(n) [/tex]
that maps a sequence in ##X## to an infinite series in ##X##, why does the set ##Z## have to be a free Z-module? (note: notice that the set ##X## does not have to be a semigroup with addition defined on it or a topological space).

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
Sure, but the Z-module is the set of series over a set not the set itself. That means I can sum series to each other and get a third series, but addition for the terms of the series is still not required.

I'm pretty sure you don't need abelian. A semigroup seems strong enough.

But I am fine with the generalization of sequences on a set as functions from countable totally ordered sets to that set.. My question is regarding generalizations of series given that definition of sequences not about generalization sequences into nets.

I brought up nets, not for the sequence→net generalisation, but to get you to abandon sequence→series and replace it with net→some-net-equivalent-of-series.

Also why do you insist on "countable totally ordered set". Series is more general than that to begin with.

You can refer to a sequence on any set ##X##, and people will know what you mean. You can refer to a series on any pair ##(X,+)## consisting of a set ##X## and an associative binary operation ##+:X\times X\to X##, and people will know what you mean. If you want to ask whether a given series on ##(X,+)## is summable, then you'll want ##X## to also have a topology on it, in which case people will assume you mean the sequence of partial sums converges.

Also, a notational nitpick: It's not standard to call a function ##T\to X## a sequence in ##X## for arbitrary countable totally ordered ##T##. The way most people use the term "sequence", your ##T## has to be (order-isomorphic to) the natural numbers.

The wikipedia article on series generalize series to apply to semigroups. You need only a set to define a sequence. But you need a topological space to talk of convergence, and the space must be hausdorff in order for the limit (if it exists) to be unique. So I would say that what we need is at least a topological semigroup which is hausdorff to talk of convergent series. A topological semigroup is a topological space X with a continuous multiplication function ##m: X \times X \to X## defining an operation * on elements on X. This way we may form partial "sums" ##x_1, x_1*x_2, x_1*x_2*x_3,...## for any sequence ##x_1,x_2,...##

The multiplication function must be continuous because (for example) we want to say that if ##x_n## converges to x, then ##y*x_n## converges to y*x.

If you want to operation to commute with elements, you will require the semigroup to be abelian. If you want an identity for the multiplication, we need a topological monoid. If you want inverses, a topological group. If you want multiplication and addition, you would need a topological ring, etc... finally, ##\mathbb{R}## is a topological field.

Last edited:
You COULD, as you mention in your other posts, define the free semigroup on X, call it S, composed of all finite strings of elements ##x_1x_2...x_n## where ##x_i \in X##, and define a series defined by a sequence in X as a sequence in S to be on the form

##x_1, x_1x_2, x_1x_2x_3,... ##

However, this would leave the set X, and the series would be defined by a sequence of terms not in X, but in S, the free semigroup generated by X. To speak of convergence in such a construction, we depend on what topology we give S. Now, as a set, S is on the form ##S=X \sqcup X \times X \sqcup X \times X \times X \sqcup ... = \bigsqcup^{\infty}_{n=0} X^n##. We could give it its natural topology: ##X^n## has the product topology for each n, and the infinite disjoint union the naturally induced topology generated by the topologies on ##X^n## for each n.

Now.. the big question is what does convergence mean here? The problem is that the terms of the sequence (which is on the form ##x_1, x_1x_2, x_1x_2x_3,... ## are in separate (connected or not) components of S. That means it can never converge. The reason being that if it supposedly converged to x, then x must be a point in one of these components (the m'th component ##X^m##, say). But the terms of the partial sums will eventually leave the m'th component indefinitely.

What is meant by "least amount of structure" on a set?

The "least amount of structure" on a set refers to the minimum amount of mathematical properties and operations needed to define a series on that set. In other words, it is the simplest form of organization and rules that can be applied to a set to create a series.

What is a set in mathematics?

In mathematics, a set is a collection of distinct objects, called elements, that are grouped together based on a specific criteria or rule. Sets are a fundamental concept in mathematics and are used to represent and analyze various mathematical concepts and structures.

What is a series?

In mathematics, a series is an infinite sum of terms that follow a specific pattern or rule. It is a way of representing and calculating the value of a sequence of numbers or other mathematical objects. Series are used in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and number theory.

How is a series defined on a set?

A series is defined on a set by specifying the rules and operations that govern the elements of the set and how they are combined to create the terms of the series. The set must have a well-defined structure in order for a series to be defined on it, as the series relies on the properties and operations of the set.

Why is it important to understand the least amount of structure on a set to define a series?

Understanding the least amount of structure on a set is important because it allows mathematicians to identify the simplest and most efficient way to define a series on that set. This can help in creating more efficient and elegant mathematical proofs and solutions, as well as providing insights into the underlying patterns and relationships within the series and the set.