Does the Universe Exist if We're Not Looking?

• Thread starter !Jon Snow!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the universe exists whether or not observers are looking. An observer has the ability to change the nature of reality, depending on the level of observation.
!Jon Snow!
Is the universe my own? I mean the whole of it, because I am the observer. If I was not there to observe it, would it exist at all?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I exist whether you are looking at me or not.

I guess It would exist, but not as a universe. It would not have any 'thing' in it at all, just undefined masses of undefined unknowable's.

!Jon Snow! said:
I guess It would exist, but not as a universe. It would not have any 'thing' in it at all, just undefined masses of undefined unknowable's.

Why? Why would the univese care whether you are looking or not? Did the universe not exist before you were born? If it did not how did you GET here?

phinds said:
Why? Why would the univese care whether you are looking or not? Did the universe not exist before you were born? If it did not how did you GET here?

Why would it have the ability to care or not care at all? Of course it existed before I or you were born, but without an intelligent or dumb observer, there was nobody to think of it as a universe or something well-defined at all, with discernable substructure, discernable objects, discernable events or anything. You have the ability to care, to discern, to call something by a name, to grasp and behold. Without you or anything like you, what is the universe really?

Yeah this is very interesting to me as well. I understand that electrons are particles when they're being observed and are waves when they're not so in that case somebody observing something can change the nature of reality. I don't think this applies to the universe as a whole though.

"You can't see me!" I cried as I covered my eyes.

Sorry, but we don't do philosophy here anymore.

1. Does the universe only exist if we are looking at it?

No, the universe is constantly existing and evolving regardless of whether we are observing it or not. Our perception and understanding of the universe may change based on observation, but the universe itself remains unchanged.

2. What does it mean for the universe to exist if we're not looking?

This question stems from the philosophical concept of subjective reality, which suggests that the world only exists as we perceive it. However, scientific evidence shows that the universe exists independently of our observation and continues to function and evolve even when we are not actively observing it.

3. How can we prove that the universe exists if we're not looking?

Scientists use various methods and technologies such as telescopes, satellites, and other instruments to gather data and evidence about the universe. This data helps us understand the laws and principles that govern the universe and prove its existence, regardless of our observation.

4. Can we ever truly know if the universe exists if we're not looking?

While it is impossible for us to have a complete understanding of the universe, scientific research and evidence allow us to gain a better understanding of its existence and function. The universe may always hold some mysteries beyond our understanding, but we can continue to expand our knowledge and perception of it through scientific exploration.

5. How does the idea of the universe existing if we're not looking impact our understanding of reality?

This concept challenges our perception of reality and our place in the universe. It suggests that there is more to reality than what we can observe and comprehend, and that our understanding of the universe is limited by our human perception and consciousness. It also highlights the importance of scientific research and exploration in expanding our understanding of the universe.