Understanding the Metric Tensor: A Guide to Tensor Products and Basis Vectors

In summary, the metric tensor is a bilinear map that satisfies conditions similar to an inner product. Its components can be written as the tensor product of two basis vectors, and it can also be expressed as the sum of the dual basis vectors multiplied by the components.
mikeeey
why the metric tensor is the dot product of two basis (co-variants or contra-variants)
if it's a tensor then the metric tensor should be written as the tensor product of two basis (basis of a vector) >>> why ?!

Physics news on Phys.org
?? The metric tensor is NOT the dot product of any vectors. Where did you get the idea that it was?

In your second sentence you say it is the tensor product of two vectors and ask "why"?

Do you know what a "dot product" and a "tensor product" are?

gij= bi.bj

The metric tensor is a bilinear map ##g:V\times V\to\mathbb R##. The definition requires it to satisfy a few more conditions. Those other conditions are almost the same as the ones you see in the definition of "inner product", so you could say that g is "almost" an inner product.

The bilinearity allows you to write
$$g(u,v)=g(u^i e_i, v^j e_j) = u^i v^j g(e_i,e_j) = u^i v^j g_{ij},$$ where I have defined ##g_{ij}=g(e_i,e_j)##. These numbers are called the components of g, with respect to the ordered basis ##(e_i)_{i=1}^n##.

The dual ordered basis to ##(e_i)_{i=1}^n## consists of the ##e^i\in V^*## such that ##e^i(e_j)=\delta^i_j##. Note that
$$e^i(u)=e^i(u^je_j) =u^je^i(e_j)=u^j\delta^i_j =u^i.$$ This implies that we have
$$g(u,v)=u^i v^j g_{ij} =e^i(u) e^j(v) g_{ij} = g_{ij} (e^i\otimes e^j)(u,v).$$ This implies that ##g=g_{ij}e^i\otimes e^j##.

thank you very very much Fredrik ..

What are mathematical products?

Mathematical products refer to the result of multiplying two or more numbers together. This can be represented using various symbols, such as the asterisk (*), the multiplication sign (x), or parentheses.

What is the difference between a product and a sum in mathematics?

A product is the result of multiplying numbers, while a sum is the result of adding numbers. For example, the product of 3 and 4 is 12, while the sum of 3 and 4 is 7.

How do you calculate the product of fractions?

To calculate the product of fractions, you multiply the numerators (top numbers) together and the denominators (bottom numbers) together. The resulting product should be simplified to its lowest terms.

What are some real-world applications of mathematical products?

Mathematical products are used in many fields, such as finance, engineering, and physics. They can be used to calculate area, volume, and rates of change, among other things.

What is the commutative property of mathematical products?

The commutative property states that the order of the numbers being multiplied does not change the result. In other words, a x b = b x a. This property does not apply to all mathematical operations, such as subtraction and division.