Pure silence.

by Etherialist.18
Tags: pure, silence
Etherialist.18
Oct21-13, 10:09 AM
P: 5
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
I'm not clear that the OP knows WHAT he is looking for. Seems to have changed over the course of the thread.
Pure silence.
mfb
Oct21-13, 10:58 AM
Mentor
P: 10,840
Are there specific sounds that are a problem? As meBigGuy and edward explained, you won't be able to hear absolutely nothing, even if you just hear yourself. You just have a choice what to hear (and how loud).
Etherialist.18
Oct21-13, 01:24 PM
I'd like to hear as little as possible. For example: not hear birds, dogs, people, cars etc.
MathJakob
Oct21-13, 08:34 PM
P: 153
I think actually the OP means that the brain always thinks, even when you're not trying to think. So in your head you're always 'talking to yourself' about whatever it is you're thinking about.

The only time when you can have total silence is when you're asleep and not dreaming, or sedated/coma
edward
Oct21-13, 09:36 PM
PF Gold
P: 861
Quote Quote by FlexGunship View Post
Repeated and prolonged exposure to extremely loud sounds has been shown to reduce the functionality of the ear's ability to hear. You could try that until you don't hear anything anymore.
I tried that (involuntarily) now both my ears are ringing, but not at the same frequency.
Etherialist.18
Oct23-13, 04:42 PM
I explicitly mean pure silence with reference to sound. I may try gun ear muffs soon.
MathJakob
Oct24-13, 10:50 AM
P: 153
Quote Quote by Etherialist.18 View Post
I explicitly mean pure silence with reference to sound. I may try gun ear muffs soon.
Even if you bought the best headphones in the world to block out in coming sound, you'd still hear sound because your ears would pick up your heart beat and possibly air vibrations inside the air muffs.

Register to reply