Superposition principle and charges from infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a past exam paper, regarding the calculation of energy required to transport charges from infinity to specific locations in relation to fixed charges. The conversation also includes a discussion about the equations and values to be used in the calculation, with the final solution being achieved through the use of the superposition principle and the equation W = kq1q2/r.
josef1234
This is not a homework assignment but a question from a past exam paper as i am studying for an exam on monday. I am one of only 3 out of 150 who have never done physics before this, the first year of an electronics degree. I would really appreciate any help.

1) A charge q1=1e-4C is in a fixed location at the origin r1=0. Calculate the energy required to transport a charge q2=2e-5C from infinity to the location r2=(0.1i + 0.2j)m

2) With q1 and q2 at the fixed locations r1 and r2, calculate the additional energy required to transport a third charge q3=1e-5C from infinity to the location r3=(0.2i + 0.1j)
V=(ke*Q)r

U=q(V1-V2)I am very confused as to which values for Q i use in the equations and also what is the value for r if the point is at the origin, in fact having tried for almost three hours i am no closer to attaining an understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to divide by 'r' in your potential equation. Also, [itex]W=\Delta V[/tex] is a useful equation for both problems. Just compute the electric potential on your test charge from the fixed charges. And then compute the change in potential energy from its two positions.

EDIT: Fixed the above work equation.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply,

That was a typo in the equation - thanks for pointing it out!

So i have V=(keQ)/r but what is my r! i.e in the equation there is a q and an r but r relates the distance between two point charges so which value for q do you use?

Following further study i have attempted the question in a different way:

W=integral(F'.ds') F'=((ke*Q*q)/r^2)r' so W=(ke*q1*q2)/r

q1=1e-4C q2=2e-5C r=sqrt(0.1^2+0.2^2)=0.224

therefore W=3.579E-16 J

How'd i do? even if i am right could someone explain my quiry above, thank you.

For the second part of the question do i just use the above equation for W(q1q3) and W(q2q3) and add them together, is this what the superposition principle tells us.

That looks correct. And it is the same solution you would have got if you just used U = q*V. Since in your case q = q2 and V = k*q1/r, leaving you with V = k*q1*q2/r.

To calculate the work done, you would use:

[tex]W = \Delta V = kq_1 q_2 \left(\frac{1}{r_f}-\frac{1}{r_i}\right) = kq_1 q_2\left(\frac{1}{r_f} - 0\right) = \frac{kq_1 q_2}{r_f}[/tex]

since [itex]r_i = \infty[/tex]

Thanks nickjer,

That makes sense now, at last! here's hoping it comes up on monday...

Regards
Joe

1. What is the superposition principle?

The superposition principle is a fundamental concept in physics that states that when two or more waves or fields are present in the same space, the total effect at any point is the sum of the individual effects of each wave or field.

2. How does the superposition principle apply to charges from infinity?

When dealing with electric charges, the superposition principle states that the electric field at any point is the vector sum of the electric fields created by each individual charge. This means that the electric field from a charge at infinity can be calculated and added to the electric field from other charges to determine the total electric field at a specific point.

3. What is the significance of charges from infinity in the superposition principle?

The concept of charges from infinity is important because it allows us to simplify complex electric field problems by treating distant charges as a single point charge at infinity. This simplification allows for easier calculation and analysis of electric fields.

4. Can the superposition principle be applied to all types of fields?

Yes, the superposition principle can be applied to all types of fields, including electric, magnetic, gravitational, and even quantum fields. This principle is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to analyze and understand the behavior of various physical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the superposition principle?

While the superposition principle is a powerful tool in physics, it does have its limitations. It assumes that the fields being superimposed are linear, meaning that the total effect is proportional to the sum of the individual effects. This may not always be the case in more complex systems, such as those involving non-linear materials or interactions.