RIP arildno: Gone, but never forgotten

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, arildno was a great contributor to the Physics Forums and will be deeply missed. He was known for his vast knowledge of literature and history, as well as his sensitivity and kindness.
This is shocking news! :-(
I don't visit PF that often now. But I distinctly remember Arildno helping me with my HW problems during my undergraduate years when I joined this forum. He was an intelligent, kind and helpful person...I cannot comprehend what personal issues he might have struggled with in his real life. My sincere condolences to his family.

Physics news on Phys.org
LCKurtz said:
Sorry to hear about arildno's passing although I admit I hadn't had that much contact with him. But this thread makes me wonder, given the general anonymity in these forums, how would anyone know he was ailing, in pain, or anything else about him? If I suddenly kicked the bucket I don't think anyone in my family would have the slightest inclination to or clue how to post a notice to PF. I have wondered this before when I see someone post that Greg is in Japan or someone is on their honeymoon. Most users on PF, following suggestions in the Privacy Policy, don't use their real names anyway. So, to paraphrase an old thermos bottle joke, how would we know?

Very sad news. I understand how you feel. The internet is a wonderful thing and a great aid to communicating with each other, but we often never get to know people well or when they have gone to their rest and similar.

I've had difficulty, over the past few weeks, making a post, without thinking about him.
Which is odd, as I don't remember having a one to one conversation with him.
A couple of weeks ago, I PF googled: OmCheeto arildno
Only three threads popped up.
A few moments ago, I did the same, and 68 threads popped up.

I think he sent me a sign, that sometimes, I should stop being so serious, and just laugh.

Thank you Arild.

ps. I also learned that he liked pickles.
Still haven't read his moose posts.

Stop it Arild!

"Drops of Jupiter" just came up on the neighbors radio...

:cry:

I mean really, what are the odds against that? 623,162,727:1

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
Stop it Arild!

"Drops of Jupiter" just came up on the neighbors radio...

:cry:

I mean really, what are the odds against that? 623,162,727:1

I have a hard time with the hard fact that, when it comes to losing people in my life...I never get over it. It never gets to a point where I think of that person without feeling pain and nostalgia and regret. These feelings come right alongside the memories of happy times, though.

lisab said:
It never gets to a point where I think of that person without feeling pain and nostalgia and regret.
Indeed. For me, my self-talk usually involves a "Damn It".

I plan to post the really funny threads arildno was part of that showed his fun side. I just need to stop crying when I try.

lisab said:
I have a hard time with the hard fact that, when it comes to losing people in my life...I never get over it. It never gets to a point where I think of that person without feeling pain and nostalgia and regret. These feelings come right alongside the memories of happy times, though.

Isn't that normal?

Just this last Wednesday, I scanned an image of the Crab Nebula from my encyclopedia. I'd looked in the index to find which volume number it was in. After I scanned it, I set the volume down and noticed what was written on the spine:

MACROPAEIDIA
Knowledge
in Depth
---------------------
---------------------
Metaphysics
Norway​

I didn't remember him being a fan of metaphysics, so it made me laugh.

Oh ,i saw the black ribbon for over a week but i didn't bother to see what it was for, until now ,RIP arildno.

A short update

Dear friends,

It is really touching to read all the messages in this thread. Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

Arild's body has now been found, which means that we can start the formal part of saying our last goodbyes. There will be a memorial service Thursday 26th of June, in Bærum, near Oslo, Norway. If you have the opportunity to participate you will be very welcome. We will get back to you with the exact details.

Arild did not usually like cameras being pointed in his direction, and would protest (and certainly not smile!) if anyone attempted such a breach of his privacy. However, the day before he left us, he let his mother snap a few photos of him, and he even smiled. He loved the woods near his mother's home, and became an expert on edible fungi. Where others would roam around looking for a whole day without finding anything, he would end up with more delicacies than he could carry almost before he had entered the forest.

We would like to share this photo with you.

Again, thank you for your kind words.

Regards,

Andreas, on behalf of the family

Attachments

• DSC_2564.jpg
    DSC_2564.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 712
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 2 people
Many thanks for keeping us posted and for the picture. Too far for me for getting there, but my thoughts will be definitely with you :sad:

Arilds family said:
Thank you for sharing.

May you and your family find peace.

Claude

Arilds family said:
Dear friends,

It is really touching to read all the messages in this thread. Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

. . . .

Regards,

Thank you for sharing Arild's image. We shall keep him and family in our hearts. I cannot be there physically, but I will be there in spirit.

Peace be upon him and family.

Thanks for sharing his photo. It's seldom we get to see the people we chat with. It brings a great joy to have had the chance to talk with Arildno and a great sadness not to know when we will again. Peace.

I am glad that he has been found and your family can properly get closure. I wish I could attend, but I would like to know if there will be a place online for me to formally give my condolences.

The story of the mushrooms was so nice, and thank you so much for the picture, it means a lot.

Arilds family said:
Dear friends,

Arild's body has now been found, which means that we can start the formal part of saying our last goodbyes. There will be a memorial service Thursday 26th of July, in Bærum, near Oslo, Norway. If you have the opportunity to participate you will be very welcome. We will get back to you with the exact details.

Arild did not usually like cameras being pointed in his direction, and would protest (and certainly not smile!) if anyone attempted such a breach of his privacy. However, the day before he left us, he let his mother snap a few photos of him, and he even smiled. He loved the woods near his mother's home, and became an expert on edible fungi. Where others would roam around looking for a whole day without finding anything, he would end up with more delicacies than he could carry almost before he had entered the forest.

Regards,

Thank you Andreas for sharing Arild's picture. It feels nice to put a face to the person who had once helped me. I am sure, he will forever remain in our memories.

Thank you Andreas.
There has not been a day, since the news, that something didn't spark a memory of him.
Just yesterday, I was looking at the new plants in my garden, and saw the name of the watermelon I had just planted: Moon and Stars
It reminded me of a song:

As years went by the boy grew high and the village looked on in awe
They'd never seen anything like the boy with the moon and star before.
And people would ride from far and wide just to seek the word he spread
I'll tell you everything I've learned
and Love is all...
he said.​

As I mentioned before, I will never forget him.

ps. My current avatar is a tribute to him. I read the book, when I was quite young. Probably when I was 13 or 14. All I remember from the story, was that the main character understood things so much more than anyone else, that there was no word on Earth to describe such a level of understanding. A perfect description of Arild, in my humble opinion.

pps. I do not thank you for the story of the fungi, as my friends and I were sitting on the beach about a month ago, when a young man walked by, with a bag full of them. We all jumped up, and went searching in the adjacent forest. I discovered six, in the first 5 minutes. No one else found any.

hmmm... On the other hand... Thank you.

As next year, I will say; "Thank you Arild!", when I find more, as he will always be, by my side.

:smile:

The photo means a lot, especially that he allowed himself to be captured and smiling. A glimpse into his mind. Lisa, I also remember him asking advice for his dad's illness, who unfortunately passed away. I'm sure he loved them much.

Then there were all the stories he had about moose and little mooslets. I've never seen one in real-life, it was fun hearing about them through Arildno. For instance: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=569892

Lisa! said:
My thoughts are with you and your family, Andreas!
I remember he always said nice stuff about his parents.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=777826&postcount=6

Stop it!

Arild's sock puppet? said:
...she knows how to make good pickles.

I made a tuna salad sandwich last night, with a chopped up, and very delicious, pickle.

PF is organizing a fundraiser to buy a customary wreath for his funeral with a PF message. $250 USD is needed.

Paypal gregbernhardt[at]gmail.com with a note that it's for this.

I'll constantly update how much more we need.

Last edited:
Monique said:
The photo means a lot, especially that he allowed himself to be captured and smiling. A glimpse into his mind. Lisa, I also remember him asking advice for his dad's illness, who unfortunately passed away. I'm sure he loved them much.

Then there were all the stories he had about moose and little mooslets. I've never seen one in real-life, it was fun hearing about them through Arildno. For instance: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=569892

Stop it!

I lived in Alaska for a bit. We had mamma mooses in our front yard, looking for things to nibble on, all the time.

I was 7, so it was just something new, like a TV show, only through the front window. :bugeye:

We left when I was 8.

Never got to see a mooslet.

Greg Bernhardt said:
PF is organizing a fundraiser to buy a customary wreath for his funeral with a PF message. $250 USD is needed.

Paypal gregbernhardt@gmail.com with a note that it's for this.

I'll constantly update how much more we need.
I need to find my paypal info.

Likes 1 person
$30/$250 has been raised. Paypal is the easiest. You could mail me a check I suppose. PM me and I'll give you my address.

Can we find out how many people wish to contribute and then see how much it would be per person? Being on disability and single, I am on a very tight budget, but more than willing to pay my share.

Last edited:
Something Arild would appreciate. :smile:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10410405_689901231095054_340539396173264250_n.jpg

Aww, how adorable!

Evo said:
Can we find out how many people wish to contribute and then see how much it would be per person? Being on disability and single, I am on a very tight budget, but more than willing to pay my share.

I'd contribute some way other than paypal (even though I never really interacted with arildno). I would even use paypal in the mode where you don't need to set up an account (I've done that with online purchases). I would not contribute if it required a paypal account.

Likes 1 person
PAllen said:
I'd contribute some way other than paypal (even though I never really interacted with arildno).
That's really sweet of you.

Greg Bernhardt said:
$30/$250 has been raised. Paypal is the easiest. You could mail me a check I suppose. PM me and I'll give you my address.

I'll cover the balance, for whatever is not raised by Thursday morning.

It's the least I can do, considering how much I admired him.

One of many, Titans of PF.

Likes 2 people
OmCheeto said:
I'll cover the balance, for whatever is not raised by Thursday morning.
Have I ever told you that I love you?

From the number of people that have agreed to chip in, the cost per person shouldn't be that high (some mentors have agreed to pay in a thread in the mentor's forum). We just need to find out how much we each need to pay. The more that contribute, the smaller the amount.

I'm also willing to contribute a share, could you PM what would be appropriate?

Likes 1 person