What is Causing the Authentication Required Popup on Physics Forums?

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
In summary, users are reporting that they are getting a popup asking for authentication, even though they are already logged in. The popup will stop if they hit cancel, but will come back if they navigate to a subforum's index page.
Drakkith
Mentor
I keep getting a popup saying "Authentication Required" for "www.physicsforums.com:80", with a username and password box to fill in. I'm already logged in and I can bypass it just by hitting cancel twice. Logging out and logging back in hasn't helped and I haven't tried actually inputing my username and password to this popup since I don't know what it's for and haven't seen it before today.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bogus login dialog problem

Did something change in the last few hours? I'm browsing PF from an iPad, and any time that I browse to any subforum (for example, "Forum Feedback and Announcements"), the site is requesting that I log in again. I just dismiss the dialog, as I clearly am logged in already and the"Welcome back, Nugatory" and post and thanks counts are showing.

Yes, others have it too. We'll have to wait for Greg to come online for this.

I have of course foolishly put in my name and password to make it go away, it didn't. I did change my password already though. So anybody please don't enter anything in the popup. If you did, immediately change your password.

After I hit "Cancel" twice, the popup stops, at least temporarily.

jtbell said:
After I hit "Cancel" twice, the popup stops, at least temporarily.

If you're having the same experience that I am, it stops until you next navigate to a subforum's index page.

Nugatory said:
If you're having the same experience that I am, it stops until you next navigate to a subforum's index page.

Yes, that's exactly right.

I have the oddest feeling that this is somehow OmCheeto's fault. Phinds is probably in on it too.

HELP! What's wrong with my account?

I am having a strange problem when I log in PF. Whenever I click a page it is asking for passwords, though I am already logged in. And even if I enter my password, it keeps asking for password again and again. (Luckily I am able to write this post)
Also a page shows up saying:
You don't have permission to access this page... Your user account may not have sufficient privileges... The administrators may have disabled this account... etc. !

Take a look:

FSuscz1.png

Also why this?

What's wrong?

Z0lE9qV.png

Last edited:
I was just about to start my own thread on the subject when I saw your post

I'm not sure if there is some hacking of the site going on ?? hence I won't put my user id and password into there

But exact same problem in Win IE 11
It was OK a few hours ago

cheers
Dave

Please stay calm, people, and no one will get hurt!

Just hit cancel, and proceed as usual. I'm sure it is a hiccup somewhere, and when Greg or one of the Admin gets here, he will deal with it.

Zz.

Thanks Greg :)
D

micromass said:
I have of course foolishly put in my name and password to make it go away, it didn't. I did change my password already though. So anybody please don't enter anything in the popup. If you did, immediately change your password.

Uh oh.. my browser autofilled my username and password into the pop up, and I even hit 'OK'
Do I have to change my password now?

PhysicoRaj said:

I don't think so.

PhysicoRaj said:
Uh oh.. my browser autofilled my username and password into the pop up, and I even hit 'OK'
No. It does not matter what you entered there as you don't have valid login data for this prompt anyway (this had nothing to do with forum accounts).

Ok, then. Whew!

1. What is an "Authentication Required Popup"?

An "Authentication Required Popup" is a security feature that appears when a user tries to access a restricted webpage or resource. It prompts the user to enter a username and password to verify their identity and grant them access to the webpage.

2. Why do I keep seeing an "Authentication Required Popup"?

The "Authentication Required Popup" appears when you try to access a webpage or resource that requires authentication. This could be because the webpage is password protected or because your browser does not have the necessary credentials to access the webpage.

3. What should I do if I see an "Authentication Required Popup"?

If you see an "Authentication Required Popup", you should enter your correct username and password to gain access to the webpage. If you do not have the necessary credentials, you should contact the website administrator to request access.

4. Can I bypass the "Authentication Required Popup"?

The purpose of the "Authentication Required Popup" is to ensure the security of the webpage and its resources. Therefore, it is not recommended to bypass it. However, if you have a valid reason to do so, you can consult with the website administrator for alternative methods of accessing the webpage.

5. How can I prevent the "Authentication Required Popup" from appearing?

If you do not want to see the "Authentication Required Popup" every time you access the webpage, you can save your login information in your browser or use a password manager. This will allow your browser to automatically enter your credentials and bypass the popup. However, it is important to note that this may compromise the security of your account if your device is accessed by someone else.