Understanding Surface Integrals: Scalar vs. Vector Functions Explained

In summary: The first one is the surface area of the whole sphere, and the second one is the area of a small circle that has its center at the center of the sphere. So, the integral of the unit vector ##\vec{p}## over the sphere is equal to the sum of the integrals of the unit vectors ##\vec{p}## over the small circles that have their centers at the centers of the sphere.
nikphd
Hello,

We know that surface integrals come to the form of a surface integral of a scalar function over a surface and a vector field over a surface. First one is [tex]\oint F(x,y,z)d{S}[/tex] and the second one is [tex]\oint \vec{F}(x,y,z)\cdot d\vec{S}=\oint \vec{F}(x,y,z)\cdot \vec{n}dS[/tex], where [itex]n[/itex] is the unit normal vector of surface [itex]S[/itex].

Lately, I've seen integrals of the form [tex]\oint \vec{p}dp[/tex], over [itex]p[/itex], where [itex]p[/itex] is a unit vector. I fail to understand the meaning of that, is it surface integral of scalar or vector function? There is no dot product if its a vector function, so what am i missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
nikphd said:
Hello,

We know that surface integrals come to the form of a surface integral of a scalar function over a surface and a vector field over a surface. First one is [tex]\oint F(x,y,z)d{S}[/tex] and the second one is [tex]\oint \vec{F}(x,y,z)\cdot d\vec{S}=\oint \vec{F}(x,y,z)\cdot \vec{n}dS[/tex], where [itex]n[/itex] is the unit normal vector of surface [itex]S[/itex].

Lately, I've seen integrals of the form [tex]\oint \vec{p}dp[/tex], over [itex]p[/itex], where [itex]p[/itex] is a unit vector. I fail to understand the meaning of that, is it surface integral of scalar or vector function? There is no dot product if its a vector function, so what am i missing here?

##\vec{p}## is a unit vector? I think you need to be more specific about what p is to be able to solve the integral.

In general though, you can integrate vector quantities. Just remember that the integral means a sum of a bunch of different objects. In the two first integrals you posted, you are taking a sum of a bunch of different scalars. In the third integral, you are taking a sum of a bunch of vectors. So, in the first two, you will end up with a scalar quantity, but in the last one you will end up with a vector quantity. I would be more specific about how to solve the third integral, but I'm not sure I quite understand what ##\vec{p}## is supposed to mean.

Consider ##\vec{p}(x, y, z)## and assume that you are integrating over some closed surface in ##R^3##, then for every point ##(x, y, z)## on the surface of the object in ##R^3##, you find ##\vec{p}## and sum all such ##\vec{p}##'s together. This is the value of the integral of the vector function ##\vec{p}(x, y, z)## over the surface in ##R^3##.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the fast reply. Ok, let me be more specific, let's say [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] is the unit vector in spherical coordinates of a unit sphere [itex]S[/itex], so [itex]\vec{p}=(sin(phi)cos(theta),sin(theta)sin(phi),cos(phi))[/itex]. Will the[itex]\oint \vec{p}dp[/itex], over [itex]p[/itex], be equal to the surface area of the sphere? Meaning its the same as [itex]\oint dS[/itex], over [itex]S[/itex], which for the unit sphere equals [itex]4π[/itex]?

Last edited:
Well, what exactly do you mean "integral over p"? If ##\vec{p}## is the spherical unit vector and you are integrating over the unit sphere, realize that every vector in the sum will be negated by an exactly opposite vector on the other side of the sphere. So I believe that the integral of the spherical unit vector over a unit sphere is actually equal to the zero vector.

Hmm, let me focus on what you said:

Our surface integral [itex]I=\oint\vec{p} d\vec{S}[/itex], integrating over [itex]S[/itex], if [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] equals the spherical unit vector and [itex]S[/itex] is the unit sphere, then [itex]I=\oint\vec{p} \vec{n}{dS}[/itex], (since [itex]dS=\vec{n}dS[/itex], where [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] is the unit vector normal to the small surface [itex]dS[/itex] but [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] is identical to the unit vector [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] so it's actually [itex]I=\oint\vec{p}\vec{p}{dS}[/itex]? Is that product [itex]\vec{p}\vec{p}[/itex] dyadic or inner?

In my previous post, when I said "integrating over [itex]p[/itex]" I meant over [itex]S[/itex], sorry.

The ##dp## in the final integral isn't a vector, it's a scalar. It represents an infinitesimal area on your surface.

Look at the difference between the ##dS## in the first integral and the ##d\vec{S}## in the second integral.

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the flux, or flow, of a vector field over a surface. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface rather than a one-dimensional curve.

2. How is a surface integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral involves integrating a function over a one-dimensional interval, while a surface integral involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface. This means that the limits of integration and the integrand (the function being integrated) are different in a surface integral.

3. What are some examples of real-life applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the electric flux through a surface, the flow of fluid through a pipe, or the surface area of a curved object. They are also used in computer graphics to render 3D objects.

4. How do you set up a surface integral?

To set up a surface integral, you first need to define the surface you are integrating over. This can be done using parametric equations or by projecting the surface onto a coordinate plane. Then, you need to determine the limits of integration, which will depend on the shape and orientation of the surface. Finally, you need to choose the integrand, which is the function that will be integrated over the surface.

5. Are there different types of surface integrals?

Yes, there are two types of surface integrals: the surface integral of a scalar function and the surface integral of a vector field. The first type involves integrating a scalar function over a surface, while the second type involves integrating a vector field over a surface to calculate the flux. The two types have different formulas and interpretations.