Integrating functions with absolute values

In summary, the steps to find E |X| of a cauchy random variable are:- integrate over the range -∞ to ∞- take the absolute value of the integrand- if t=-x, then -dx=dt, and the bottom limit of integration changes from -∞ to ∞
Mogarrr
To find [itex]E |X|[/itex] of a cauchy random variable, I need to integrate
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac1{\pi}\frac{|x|}{1+x^2}dx [/itex].

From the definition of absolute value, we have
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^0\frac1{\pi}\frac{-x}{1+x^2}dx + \int_0^{\infty}\frac1{\pi}\frac{x}{1+x^2}dx[/itex] (I think).

But, the very next step in the textbook, which I'm trying to follow along, is
[itex]\frac2{\pi}\int_0^{\infty}\frac{x}{1+x^2}dx[/itex].

Unless I made some mistake, the reasoning here is that
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^0\frac1{\pi}\frac{-x}{1+x^2}dx = \int_0^{\infty}\frac1{\pi}\frac{x}{1+x^2}dx[/itex].

If this is true, why is this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mogarrr said:
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^0\frac1{\pi}\frac{-x}{1+x^2}dx = \int_0^{\infty}\frac1{\pi}\frac{x}{1+x^2}dx[/itex].

What happens if you do the substitution ##-x=t##?

Likes 1 person
Mogarrr said:
To find [itex]E |X|[/itex] of a cauchy random variable, I need to integrate
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac1{\pi}\frac{|x|}{1+x^2}dx [/itex].

From the definition of absolute value, we have
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^0\frac1{\pi}\frac{-x}{1+x^2}dx + \int_0^{\infty}\frac1{\pi}\frac{x}{1+x^2}dx[/itex] (I think).

But, the very next step in the textbook, which I'm trying to follow along, is
[itex]\frac2{\pi}\int_0^{\infty}\frac{x}{1+x^2}dx[/itex].

Same idea behind $$\int_{a}^{b}\omega=-\int_{b}^{a}\omega.$$

Thanks for your help guys. Understanding accomplished.

Let [itex]t=-x[/itex], then [itex]-dx=dt[/itex], [itex]\frac{-x}{1+x^2}=\frac{t}{1+t^2}[/itex], and the bottom limit of integration changes from -∞ to ∞. Thus

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^0\frac1{\pi}\frac{-x}{1+x^2}dx=(-1)\cdot \int_{\infty}^0\frac1{\pi}\frac{t}{1+t^2}dt = \int_0^{\infty}\frac1{\pi}\frac{t}{1+t^2}dt [/itex].

Since t is a dummy variable, the integrand can be rewritten with x=t.

1. What is the purpose of integrating functions with absolute values?

Integrating functions with absolute values helps us find the total area under a curve, regardless of whether the curve is above or below the x-axis. This is useful in various applications, such as calculating work done in physics or finding average values in statistics.

2. How do I integrate a function with absolute values?

To integrate a function with absolute values, we can split the integral into two separate integrals: one for the positive values and one for the negative values. Then, we can apply the appropriate rules for integration to each integral.

3. Can we use the fundamental theorem of calculus to integrate functions with absolute values?

Yes, the fundamental theorem of calculus can be applied to integrate functions with absolute values. However, we need to be careful and consider the cases where the function changes sign, as this may affect the limits of integration.

4. Are there any special cases when integrating functions with absolute values?

Yes, there are certain cases where integrating functions with absolute values can be simplified. For example, if the function inside the absolute value is an even function, we can replace the absolute value with the function itself and integrate as usual.

5. How can we use integration with absolute values to solve real-world problems?

Integration with absolute values can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as calculating the net displacement of an object or finding the average temperature over a period of time. It allows us to accurately measure and analyze data that may have both positive and negative values.