Buzzing Noise From Laptop Speakers

In summary, Richy is experiencing buzzing noises when playing sound through the laptop speakers, but not when using external speakers. He suspects it may be an issue with the laptop speakers or the sound card, and is seeking advice on how to fix it. Warren suggests that it could be a blown speaker, while Richy wonders if it could be a driver or software issue.
sanitykey
Hi, whenever i play sound using the laptop speakers i get a buzzing noise which gets louder with louder sounds. It sounds like a motor (but i couldn't hear anything loose rattling about) anyway when i plugged in some speakers the sound was fine and when i took them out the buzzing was still there so i think it's something to do with the laptop speakers but I'm not sure what...

I read somewhere after googling it might be something to do with the sound card being loose in the slot or something...would that explain it? Even though external speakers worked?

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Richy

Computer science news on Phys.org
If it works ok with external speakers and no external amplifier then most likely the internal speakers are defective.
Could be a warped or partially separated voice coil in the speaker itself.
In this case if the laptop has stereo speakers the buzz will likely come from just one of the speakers not both.

If you are using the line out jack with an external amp there could be problems wiht the internal amp, particuarly if the buzz comes from both speakers.

Unlikely to be something physically loose.

Oh i think i was using an amplifier actually i plugged in the soundstation logic 3speaker set here's a picture: http://www.ponuda.com/images/258/logic3_soundstation3.jpg

The buzzing seemed to only be coming from the right laptop speaker, thanks for the information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Sounds like you've got a blown speaker.

- Warren

yes there could be something loose inside or a broken speaker but have you tried a simple driver update or tried reinstalling the software which controls the laptops sound reproduction. Its amazing what a dodgy driver or piece of software can do.

Last edited:
ukmicky said:
yes there could be something loose inside or a broken speaker but have you tried a simple driver update or tried reinstalling the software which controls the laptops sound reproduction. Its amazing what a dodgy driver or piece of software can do.
If you get good sound thru the output jack then the drivers are ok.

1. What causes a buzzing noise from laptop speakers?

There are several potential causes for a buzzing noise from laptop speakers. It could be due to faulty or damaged speakers, audio drivers, or electrical interference. It could also be caused by software issues or physical obstructions blocking the speakers.

2. How do I fix a buzzing noise from my laptop speakers?

The first step is to identify the source of the buzzing noise. If it is caused by physical obstructions, simply removing them should solve the issue. If it is a software problem, try updating your audio drivers or restarting your laptop. If the speakers are damaged, they may need to be replaced.

3. Can a buzzing noise from laptop speakers damage my computer?

In most cases, a buzzing noise from laptop speakers will not damage your computer. However, if the issue is caused by faulty electrical components, it is possible for the noise to cause damage over time. It is best to address the issue as soon as possible to prevent any potential damage.

4. Why does the buzzing noise from my laptop speakers come and go?

The buzzing noise may come and go if it is caused by intermittent electrical interference. This could be due to nearby electronic devices, poor grounding, or faulty wiring. If the issue persists, it is recommended to have a professional inspect your laptop and surrounding area for potential sources of interference.

5. Is there a way to prevent buzzing noise from laptop speakers?

To prevent buzzing noise from laptop speakers, make sure your laptop is not near any potential sources of interference, such as other electronic devices. It is also important to regularly update your audio drivers and keep your laptop clean to prevent physical obstructions. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to replace the speakers or have a professional inspect your laptop.