Initial and final state of hydrogen atom

In summary, to find the final "n" state of a hydrogen atom given the wavelength of photon absorbed and emitted, follow these steps: 1. Start with the ground state energy, E_0, which is equal to 0. 2. Use the equation E_{Final}= E_0 + E_1 - E_2 to determine the final energy of the atom. 3. Calculate E_1 and E_2 using the formula E=hf=hc/lambda, with the corresponding wavelengths given in the problem.4. Convert the final energy to eV and set it equal to the Bohr model formula, E=-13.6eV/n^2, to solve for n. 5.
physgirl

Homework Statement

given the wavelength of photon absorbed by H atom and wavelength of photon emitted by that H, find the final "n" state of H atom.

Homework Equations

E=nhf

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried... n1hf1=n2hf2
n1f1=n2f2
where n1=1
so: f1=n2f2
1/lamdba1=n2(1/lambda2)

and I get an integer value for n. But how is that the right way? Because I thought n was the number of photons... so it doesn't make sense for me to be solving for n :( I tried using the Rydberg equation, first plugging in the first lambda given to figure out what level of energy H atom initially got excited to but I didnt get an integer...

Physics news on Phys.org
E=nhf
That equation is important, but I think you're a little confused. The "n" in that equation does stand for the number of photons, so solving for it isn't going to help. Also, we are only dealing with one photon at a time, so n will always be one in this problem. The relationship you are using is incorrect for another reason as well. The energy of the first and second states would not be equal. This relationship also does not mention the third and final state, whose "n" (energy level) we are trying to find.

Try starting this way:

Start with the ground state energy, E_0. The atom then gains gain some energy, and then looses some energy. So, the final energy of the atom will be of the form:

[tex]E_{Final}= E_0 + E_1 - E_2[/tex]

Now what would E_0, E_1 and E_2 be?

After you have found these values, do you know a relationship for the energy of a hydrogen atom involving "n" (here the energy level)?

Last edited:
So okay. What I tried was... since E_0 is ground state, it is equal to 0. E1 and E2 would be hc/lambda with corresponding lambda values given in our problem. Then I did E_final=E0+E1-E2=E1-E2. And then I converted that E_final value to eV by multiplying by 6.241E18 eV/J... and then set that equal to E=-13.6eV/n^2... I solved for n and got 1.154... I'm supposed to be expecting an integer though, right...? :(

And actually, I get a positive value for my E_final, which also doesn't make sense in terms of plugging in numbers to that E=-13.6eV/n^2 formula...

Last edited:
physgirl said:
So okay. What I tried was... since E_0 is ground state, it is equal to 0.
The H atom starts in the ground state, n = 1, which has an energy of -13.6 eV.

Redo your calculation for E_final and compare to the Bohr model to find the principal quantum number for the final state.

Ohh, so I would do:

E_final=E1-E2-13.6eV which is also equal to -13.6eV/n^2

?

That's right.

Thank you so much!

would someone mind working out this problem a little more thoroughly? I have a problem that's pretty much just like it and I'm stuck too. Maybe if I saw it worked out a little further i would get "unstuck" Am I supposed to use the Rydberg formula to work out the intermediate energy states?

1. What is the initial state of a hydrogen atom?

The initial state of a hydrogen atom refers to its state before any external forces or interactions have affected it. This is typically when the atom is at rest and in its lowest energy state, known as the ground state.

2. What is the final state of a hydrogen atom?

The final state of a hydrogen atom refers to its state after it has undergone some change or interaction. This could include absorbing or emitting energy, gaining or losing an electron, or undergoing a chemical reaction.

3. How does the initial state of a hydrogen atom differ from the final state?

The main difference between the initial and final state of a hydrogen atom is the amount of energy it possesses. The initial state is typically the lowest energy state, while the final state can have a higher or lower energy depending on the specific change or interaction that occurred.

4. What factors can influence the initial and final state of a hydrogen atom?

The initial and final state of a hydrogen atom can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as external forces (such as light or heat), interactions with other atoms or molecules, and the energy levels of the atom's electrons.

5. Why is understanding the initial and final state of a hydrogen atom important?

Understanding the initial and final state of a hydrogen atom is crucial for understanding the behavior and properties of atoms, as well as for many applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. It also plays a significant role in our understanding of the fundamental laws and principles of the universe.