Finding The area of part of a semi-circle.

• Thread starter BR24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the problem is to calculate the area of one of the middle sections of a church window, which is made up of a semicircle on top of a square with side lengths of 2 metres. The window is divided into four equal sections by parallel lines. The radius of the semicircle is 1 metre and the circumference of the half circle is (pi)/2. The area of the rectangular part is 1m sq. To find the area of the middle section, we can break up the semicircle into shapes we know how to find the area of, such as triangles and rectangles.
BR24

Homework Statement

Ok so here's the problem. Hope you guys can help me out.
A church window is made up of a semicicrle on top of a square with side lengths of 2 metres. The window is divided into four sections of equal width by lines parralel to the upright sides of the square. Calculate the area of one of the middle sections of the window as an exact number.
Heres a picture so you get what I am talking abouthttp://img2.putfile.com/main/4/9313372093.jpg
heres the link to the pic if that didnt work. http://img2.putfile.com/main/4/9313372093.jpg So i have to figure out the area of one of those middle sections of window.

Homework Equations

The square/rectangle parts is not what I am worried about, i can't get the circle part.
The radius of the half circle is 1, so the A=(pi)r^2/2, A=(pi)/2.
Circumference of the circle is C=(pi)D/2 so.. C=(pi)/2. Cirumference of the half circle is (pi)/2. So, circumference of 1/4 of the circle is (pi)/4.
I know that the rectangular part of one of the inside sections of window is A=0.5*2=1m sq. now i just need to know how to find the whole area of one of the inside sections of window, not just the bottom part. Hope you guys can help me out. I need this figured out by tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,
brandon

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "an exact number"?

How could you break up the semi circle into shapes that you may know how to find the area of?

BR24 said:
now i just need to know how to find the whole area of one of the inside sections of window

Hi brandon!

Hint: draw a diagonal. :smile:

What is a semi-circle?

A semi-circle is a two-dimensional shape that is formed by cutting a full circle in half, resulting in a half-moon shape. It has a curved boundary and a flat edge, with a central angle of 180 degrees.

How do you find the area of a semi-circle?

To find the area of a semi-circle, you can use the formula A = (π * r^2) / 2, where r is the radius of the semi-circle. This formula is derived from the formula for finding the area of a full circle, A = π * r^2, by dividing it by 2, since a semi-circle is half of a circle.

What is the unit of measurement for the area of a semi-circle?

The unit of measurement for the area of a semi-circle is typically squared units, such as square inches or square centimeters. This is because area is a two-dimensional measurement, and when using the formula A = (π * r^2) / 2, the radius is squared.

What are some real-life applications of finding the area of a semi-circle?

Finding the area of a semi-circle is useful in various real-life situations, such as calculating the area of a half-circle window or door, determining the amount of material needed for a half-circle shaped roof, or estimating the amount of paint needed to cover a semi-circular wall.

Can you use the same formula to find the area of a quarter-circle?

No, the formula for finding the area of a semi-circle cannot be used to find the area of a quarter-circle. For a quarter-circle, the formula would be A = (π * r^2) / 4, since a quarter-circle is one-fourth of a full circle. Additionally, the central angle for a quarter-circle is 90 degrees, while for a semi-circle it is 180 degrees.