Momentum conservation question (answer provided)

In summary, the momentum equation states that the total momentum of two objects is the sum of the individual momenta. The collision between the two balls causes one of the balls to slow down and the other to speed up.
physics120

Homework Statement

I already have the answer, I just need someone to help me understand the answer for the following momentum question:

Two balls are both moving horizontally to the right on a table. Ball 1 catches up with ball 2 and collides with it. The balls stick together and continue on with velocity vf (balls are still moving horizontally and are still on the table). Which of these statements is true?

a) vf is greater than v1.
b) vf = v1.
c) vf is greater than v2 but less than v1.
d) vf = v2.
e) vf is less than v2.
f) Can't tell without knowing the masses.

The ANSWER is c.

Homework Equations

the law of conservation of momentum: vector Pf = vector pi

The Attempt at a Solution

THE CORRECT ANSWER:

Momentum conservation requires (m1 + m2) * vf = m1v1 +m2v2. Because v1>v2, it must be that (m1 +m2) * vf = m1v1 + m2v2 > m1v2 +m2v2 = (m1 + m2) * v2. Thus vf > v2. Similarly, v2 < v1 so (m1 + m2) * vf = m1v1 + m2v2 < m1v1 + m2v1 = (m1 + m2) * v1. Thus vf < v1. The collision causes m1 to slow down and m2 to speed up.

I got this answer from the back of my physics textbook so I am 100% sure it is CORRECT. Right now, I am studying for my midterm on Friday, and I would REALLY appreciate it if someone could explain the answer to me!

Thank-you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi physics120! :smile:
physics120 said:
Momentum conservation requires (m1 + m2) * vf = m1v1 +m2v2. Because v1>v2, it must be that (m1 +m2) * vf = m1v1 + m2v2 > m1v2 +m2v2 = (m1 + m2) * v2. Thus vf > v2. Similarly, v2 < v1 so (m1 + m2) * vf = m1v1 + m2v2 < m1v1 + m2v1 = (m1 + m2) * v1. Thus vf < v1. The collision causes m1 to slow down and m2 to speed up.

hmm … works even if v1 < v2 …

personally, I'd write it vf = pv1 + (1-p)v2,

where p = m1/(m1 + m2),

and then obviously vf lies between v1 and v2.

but anyway, what part of the proof in the book is worrying you? :smile:

Well first, this part: "Because v1>v2, it must be that (m1 +m2) * vf = m1v1 + m2v2 > m1v2 +m2v2 = (m1 + m2) * v2. Thus vf > v2."

I don't understand where they got "m1v2 +m2v2 = (m1 + m2) * v2" ESPECIALLY THE "m1v2" part. How did they obtain that?

I don't really know how they used the law of conservation of momentum properly. Could you please show me an even more detailed step-by-step of the proof they did?

The first bit, (m1 +m2) * vf = m1v1 + m2v2, is the law of conservation of momentum.

And then they used:

v1 > v2, so m1v1 > m1v2, so m1v1 + m2v2 > m1v2 +m2v2 = (m1 + m2)v2 :smile:

OK, after looking at the answer over, I am understanding what they are trying to do now.
Thank-you for your help.

1. What is momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the total momentum before an event must be equal to the total momentum after the event.

2. Why is momentum conservation important?

Momentum conservation is important because it allows us to predict the outcome of events and understand the behavior of objects in motion. By understanding the conservation of momentum, we can make accurate calculations and predictions in various physical systems.

3. Can momentum be lost or gained?

No, according to the principle of momentum conservation, momentum cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred between objects within a closed system. This means that the total momentum of a system will remain constant, even if individual objects within the system experience changes in momentum.

4. How is momentum conserved in collisions?

In collisions, momentum is conserved through the exchange of momentum between objects. This means that the total momentum of the colliding objects before the collision must be equal to the total momentum after the collision. Depending on the type of collision (elastic or inelastic), the objects involved may also exchange kinetic energy.

5. Is momentum conservation always true?

Yes, momentum conservation is a universal principle that applies to all physical systems. However, it is important to note that this principle only applies to closed systems, where there is no external force acting on the system. In open systems, where external forces are present, momentum may not be conserved.