BA vs BS in Physics: Pros & Cons of Each Degree

• Thread starter Scramble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: It depends. If your ultimate goal is to work in academia, a BS is definitely more desirable. If your goal is to work in industry, a BA will have no real impact on your chances.It depends. If your ultimate goal is to work in academia, a BS is definitely more desirable. If your goal is to work in industry, a BA will have no real impact on your chances.
Scramble
My university offers both and I was planning to pursue the BA in Physics with a Computer Science minor. The BS has more requirements/less room to take non-Physics classes. Is there any disadvantages to having a BA on your resume rather than a BS?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If your thinking about experimental physics the BA might be a better option. Computer science part is also more marketable in the job/internship market.

In general, I'd personally say that if you plan to pursue higher education in the field of physics, a BA would be looked down upon relative to a BS because of the lack of upper level coursework... but you haven't posted your future plans in order for people to comment very extensively about the pros and cons regarding your choices.

physics girl phd said:
In general, I'd personally say that if you plan to pursue higher education in the field of physics, a BA would be looked down upon relative to a BS because of the lack of upper level coursework... but you haven't posted your future plans in order for people to comment very extensively about the pros and cons regarding your choices.

Agreed. I would imagine it appears at first glance to graduate admissions as "ahh...went the easy route, eh?"
If there is a definite reason for going the BA route, I'd imagine you'll have to explain that reason well in any graduate applications.

The differences between BA and BS for scientific educational degrees are essentially meaningless. You choice within the options and your choices of electives are far, far, far, far more important.

symbolipoint said:
The differences between BA and BS for scientific educational degrees are essentially meaningless. You choice within the options and your choices of electives are far, far, far, far more important.

I would agree with you I don't understand were anyone would get the impression that youre going to be looked down on because youre degree is a BA instead of BS. I always think of the fact that Berkeley only offers BA in physics.

j93 said:
I would agree with you I don't understand were anyone would get the impression that youre going to be looked down on because youre degree is a BA instead of BS. I always think of the fact that Berkeley only offers BA in physics.
If the BA program were as science intensive as the BS program at schools where both options are offered, there wouldn't be a BA program in the first place. Whether or not it's "right" to look down on a BA, I doubt it will be a benefit in future applications.

Troponin said:
If the BA program were as science intensive as the BS program at schools where both options are offered, there wouldn't be a BA program in the first place. Whether or not it's "right" to look down on a BA, I doubt it will be a benefit in future applications.

In my experience those distinctions have no observable effect. The importance of things such as PGRE and recommendation and GPA towers over so that any theoretical difference between BA/BS cannot be observed.

It all depends on what a "BA" or a "BS" constitues. The same is true for "honours" vs. non-honours courses. These mean different things at different schools. Where I did my undergrad, if you didn't take the honours route, you generally didn't have the proper prerequisite courses for graduate school. For others, it's just a matter of a few electives. The same is true for the BA vs. BS.

Take a close look at the core elements in the programs you're considering and if there's any question, contact the department to see if a particular route qualifies you for graduate admissions.

If your goal is to work in industry, I don't think there will be much difference.

But if you have any inkling of ever going on to graduate school, it's always best to take the more rigorous option, IMO.

lisab said:
If your goal is to work in industry, I don't think there will be much difference.

But if you have any inkling of ever going on to graduate school, it's always best to take the more rigorous option, IMO.

Thanks, that's all I'm really trying to say. My previous undergrad is a BA in Kinesiology, so I have no prejudice against BAs, but I'm able to understand that had I applied to grad school, my application would have been better served by going with a BS.

physics girl phd said:

what about if you intend to go to grad school for applied math or mechanical engineering?

if it hurts that much, is it worth it for me to change from a BA to BS, even though I will have to stay another semester?

It just depends on what the B.A./B.S. constitutes at your school. General rule is that more classes in your field the better.

1. What is the main difference between a BA and a BS in Physics?

The main difference between a BA and a BS in Physics is the level of depth and specialization in the subject. A BA in Physics typically provides a broader overview of the field and a more general education in the sciences, while a BS in Physics focuses on a more rigorous and specialized curriculum.

2. Are there different career options for BA and BS graduates in Physics?

Yes, there are different career options for BA and BS graduates in Physics. BA graduates may find employment in fields such as education, science communication, or technical writing, while BS graduates may pursue careers in research, engineering, or data analysis.

3. Which degree is better for graduate school in Physics?

Both a BA and a BS in Physics can prepare students for graduate school, but the BS degree may provide a stronger foundation for advanced studies and research. However, admissions for graduate programs may also consider other factors such as research experience and letters of recommendation.

4. What are the pros of a BA in Physics?

Some pros of a BA in Physics include a more flexible curriculum, the opportunity to explore other fields of study, and a broader understanding of science. This degree may also be a good fit for students who are interested in pursuing a career outside of traditional physics-related fields.

5. What are the pros of a BS in Physics?

The pros of a BS in Physics include a more specialized and rigorous curriculum, which can prepare students for advanced studies and research in the field. This degree may also provide more job opportunities in physics-related industries and higher starting salaries compared to a BA degree.