Unit tangent vector to a curve at a point

In summary, we need to find the unit tangent vector T(t) to the curve r(t) at the point t=1. To do this, we first take the derivative of r(t) to get r'(t). Then, we plug in the given parameter, 1, to get <2(e^2), -2,-3>. However, we need to use the chain rule to find the derivative of 1/(3t), which is -(1/3)*t^(-2). After correcting this, we divide r'(t) by its magnitude and simplify to get the unit tangent vector T(t).
memish

Homework Statement

Find the unit tangent vector T(t) to the curve r(t) at the point with the given value of the parameter, t.
r(t)=<e^(2t), t^(-2), 1/(3t)>
t=1

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I took the derevative to get r'(t) which I got to be <2*e^(2x), -2t^(-3), -3t^(-2)> and plugged in the paramter, 1, so I got <2(e^2), -2,-3> and then I think I should divide that by its own magnitude, which I got to be the square root of (4(e^4) + 13)

Buttt that's not working and I am not sure which part I went wrong on
help?

THANKS

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative of 1/(3t) is -(1/3)*t^(-2). Not -3t^(-2).

Ohhh ok... can you kinda explain that? Isn't 1/(3t) basically (3t)^(-1) and then you can use the power rule?

ohhhh i have to use quotient rule?!

ahhh yay i got it thanks! picking up calc againafter the summer sucks...

memish said:
Ohhh ok... can you kinda explain that? Isn't 1/(3t) basically (3t)^(-1) and then you can use the power rule?

Ok. d/dt (3t)^(-1)=(-1)*(3t)^(-2)*(d/dt (3t)). The last part comes from the chain rule. I think that's what your are forgetting. That's -3/(3t)^2=(-1)/(3t^2).

Yes, but then you need to use the chain rule
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} (3t)^{-1} = -1*(3t)^{-2}*\frac{d}{dt}(3t) = -1*(3t)^{-2}*3[/tex]

What is a unit tangent vector to a curve at a point?

A unit tangent vector is a vector that is tangent to a curve at a specific point, and has a magnitude of 1. It represents the direction in which the curve is changing at that point.

How is a unit tangent vector calculated?

A unit tangent vector is calculated by taking the derivative of the curve at the given point and then normalizing the resulting vector to have a magnitude of 1.

Why is the unit tangent vector important in mathematics?

The unit tangent vector is important because it helps us understand the direction and rate of change of a curve at a specific point. It is also used in various mathematical applications, such as finding the curvature of a curve.

Can the unit tangent vector ever be zero?

No, the unit tangent vector can never be zero because it represents a direction and a zero vector has no direction. However, the magnitude of the unit tangent vector can be zero if the curve is a straight line at that point.

How is the unit tangent vector related to the normal vector of a curve?

The unit tangent vector is perpendicular to the normal vector of a curve at a given point. This means that the two vectors are at a 90 degree angle to each other and point in opposite directions.