Relating Power to Work and KE

• Thread starter glockstock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power Work
In summary: It is ma + the weight of the bucket. In this case, the weight is 6.1(9.8) = 59.78 N. Therefore, the person must exert a force of 59.78 + 96.81 = 156.59 N. Therefore, the power is 156.59 * 2 = 313.18 W.In summary, the power delivered by the person pulling on the rope to lift a 6.1-kg box at a constant speed of 2.0 m/s is 120 kW. To lift the same box at constant acceleration from rest on the floor to a height of 1.4 m in 0.42 s, the
glockstock

Homework Statement

A 6.1-kg box is being lifted by means of a light rope that is threaded through a single, light, frictionless pulley that is attached to the ceiling.

(a) If the box is being lifted at a constant speed of 2.0 m/s, what is the power delivered by the person pulling on the rope?

(b) If the box is lifted, at constant acceleration, from rest on the floor to a height of 1.4 m above the floor in 0.42 s, what average power is delivered by the person pulling on the rope?

Homework Equations

P = F * v
KE = .5mv^2
W = F * distance
W = KE

The Attempt at a Solution

I've answered the first problem, getting .120 kW as an answer. But I'm having trouble with the (b), and maybe the concept of average power is throwing me off. I don't know what to do with the time given (0.42 s) and the height (1.4 m)...I know power is KE/T, but I don't know what the velocity is in KE since no acceleration was given. Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the box is lifted at constant acceleration from rest, you can find the acceleration using the kinematic equation for x(t).

Last edited:
OK, so using the kinematic equation I've found the acceleration to be 15.87 m/s^2...do I use another kinematic equation to find a velocity, and use F=ma with the mass of the box (6.1kg) and my acceleration (15.87) to get a force of 96.81N, then multiply that by the velocity for power? Or do I have to consider the force of gravity too, and subtract that force from the 96.81N...

You need to consider the force of gravity. F = ma gives you the net force not the force the person is exerting on the box. Once you find the force exerted by the person, you need to multiply by the average velocity to get average power.

P=Fv=ma(vavg)
SOLVE FOR a:
h=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]at2

PLUG IN a and SOLVE FOR vavg (which is v/2):
v2=2ah​

Last edited:
Rubber Band said:
P=Fv=ma(vavg)

SOLVE FOR a:
h=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]at2

PLUG IN a and SOLVE FOR vavg (which is v/2):
v2=2ah​

The power that Rubber Band proposes as the answer is not the power delivered by the person. It is the power delivered by the net force. The person has to deliver enough power to do two things, overcome gravity and accelerate the box. The tension in the rope is equal and opposite to the force the person exerts. Therefore, the power delivered by the rope is the same as the tension. When a rope accelerates a bucket up (or down), the tension is not ma.

1. How is power related to work?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. In other words, power is the amount of work done per unit of time. The formula for power is P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time.

2. What is the difference between work and kinetic energy?

Work is the transfer of energy from one system to another, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In other words, work results in a change in kinetic energy. The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. How does power affect an object's kinetic energy?

Power does not directly affect an object's kinetic energy. However, the amount of power being used can determine how quickly an object's kinetic energy changes. For example, a higher power output will result in a faster change in kinetic energy compared to a lower power output.

4. Can power be converted into work or kinetic energy?

Yes, power can be converted into work or kinetic energy. This can happen through various processes such as electrical energy being converted into kinetic energy in a motor or chemical energy being converted into kinetic energy in an explosion.

5. How is power measured?

Power is typically measured in watts (W), which is equivalent to one joule per second. Other common units of power include horsepower (hp) and kilowatts (kW).