One can choose isothermal coordinates

In summary, on any smooth surface, one can choose isothermal coordinates in a neighborhood of any point, which are lines of constant temperature and are equal to constant coordinate lines. The physical interpretation of this fact is that in any heat flow situation, the heat flux vector at any point has a definite direction, and the isothermal line through that point is at right angles to the heat flux. However, this does not necessarily mean that the temperature is constant everywhere, as equilibrium in thermal problems often refers to a time-independent heat flux. In 2D, there is a system of conformal coordinates where one set is aligned with the isothermals and the other set is aligned with the heat flux vectors. This fact may also prove the existence
lavinia
Science Advisor
Gold Member
On any smooth surface one can choose isothermal coordinates in a neighborhood of any point.
What is the physical interpretation of this fact?

Do the isothermals describe an equilibrium distribution of temperature? How would that be true say on a sphere?

Science news on Phys.org

If I understand your question, its basically just a mathematical approximation since the temperature distribution function is continuous. Basically the temperature can't jump, so if it is T at one point, it won't be too different from T at a point nearby.

Do the isothermals describe an equilibrium distribution of temperature? How would that be true say on a sphere?

No they do not describe equilibrium since as long as there is more than one isothermal heat must be flowing somewhere in the system. It flows from one isothermal to another, but does not flow along an isothermal.

You cannot have part of a system in equilibrium.

Curl said:
If I understand your question, its basically just a mathematical approximation since the temperature distribution function is continuous. Basically the temperature can't jump, so if it is T at one point, it won't be too different from T at a point nearby.

not sure what you mean. I didn't say that the distribution would be discontinuous.

Studiot said:
No they do not describe equilibrium since as long as there is more than one isothermal heat must be flowing somewhere in the system. It flows from one isothermal to another, but does not flow along an isothermal.

You cannot have part of a system in equilibrium.

equilibrium distributions of temperature that are not constant certainly exist. For an open planar region,they are solutions to the Dirichlet problem. Take a metal plate with some shape and keep its boundary at a constant temperature. eventually the temperature in the entire plate will be constant. this does not mean that heat does not flow. it means that the temperature doesn't change.

I guess another way to ask this question is , is there a physics proof for the existence of isothermal coordinates?

lavinia said:
I guess another way to ask this question is , is there a physics proof for the existence of isothermal coordinates?
It would be helpful if you were a little clearer on what you are talking about. Are you talking about co-ordinates P, V, and T for a thermodynamic system? Are you talking about a surface in this P-V-T space? What is the substance that we are dealing with? A gas? Ideal gas?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
It would be helpful if you were a little clearer on what you are talking about. Are you talking about co-ordinates P, V, and T for a thermodynamic system? Are you talking about a surface in this P-V-T space? What is the substance that we are dealing with? A gas? Ideal gas?

AM

I have been searching outside of this site and here is the answer.

On a surface that is thermally isolated isothermals are lines of constant temperature and are equal to constant coordinate lines in isothermal coordinates.

The physics proof might be that a surface that becomes thermally isolated achieves a constant temperature distribution. The isothermals determine isothermal coordinates and hence the complex structure. But I am guessing here.

Last edited:

I don't think AM meant this,
I think he was referring to something I also wondered about - the common use of 3D PVT diagrams (by chemical engineers in particular).
If we can follow a process along lines of constant temperature, pressure or volume to get from point A to point B in the diagram we have definite formula to perform the calculations on. General paths across surfaces in PVT space are not, in general calculable.

lavinia said:
On any smooth surface one can choose isothermal coordinates in a neighborhood of any point.
What is the physical interpretation of this fact?
I don't understand what you mean by isothermal coordinates, plural.

In any heat flow situation, the heat flux vector at any point has a definite direction (which may vary with time of course), therefore on a surface the isothermal line through that point is at right angles to the heat flux. In 3 dimension the isothermal surface through the point is normal to the heat flux.

Those statements are true whether or not the heat flow is varying with time.

For thermal problems, "equlibrium" often means "the heat flux is not time dependent". That is not the same as "the temperature is constant everywhere".

In 2D, you can define a system of conformal coordinates where one set of coordinates are the isothermals, and the other set are aligned with the heat flux vectors. Is that what you meant by "isothermal coordinates"?

AlephZero said:
I don't understand what you mean by isothermal coordinates, plural.

In any heat flow situation, the heat flux vector at any point has a definite direction (which may vary with time of course), therefore on a surface the isothermal line through that point is at right angles to the heat flux. In 3 dimension the isothermal surface through the point is normal to the heat flux.

Those statements are true whether or not the heat flow is varying with time.

For thermal problems, "equlibrium" often means "the heat flux is not time dependent". That is not the same as "the temperature is constant everywhere".

In 2D, you can define a system of conformal coordinates where one set of coordinates are the isothermals, and the other set are aligned with the heat flux vectors. Is that what you meant by "isothermal coordinates"?

I am sorry to have been vague. By temperature constant I meant constant in time. I thought that isothermal coordinates was standard terminology. I guess not although the term was invented by a physicist.

So the physics fact may be that a thermally isolated surface will reach an equilibrium where the temperature at each point is not changing in time. This reminds me of the Dirichlet problem.

It this were true - and this is why I asked this question in a physics thread rather than a mathematics thread - then it would prove the existence of isothermal coordinates on any surface.

I guess this also leads to the general problem of the long term asymptotic behavior of heat flow.

1. What are isothermal coordinates?

Isothermal coordinates are a type of coordinate system used in scientific and mathematical studies, particularly in the field of thermodynamics. They are a set of coordinates that describe the temperature and position of a point in a system, and are used to map out the distribution of temperature and energy in a given space.

2. How are isothermal coordinates different from other coordinate systems?

Unlike other coordinate systems, isothermal coordinates take into account the temperature of a system in addition to its position. This allows for a more accurate representation of the distribution of energy and heat within a given space.

3. What is the significance of choosing isothermal coordinates?

Choosing isothermal coordinates allows for a more efficient and accurate analysis of thermodynamic systems. It simplifies the equations and calculations involved in studying temperature and energy distributions, making it easier to understand and predict the behavior of a system.

4. How are isothermal coordinates used in research and experiments?

Isothermal coordinates are commonly used in scientific research and experiments, particularly in the fields of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics. They are used to model and analyze temperature distributions in various systems, such as heat transfer in engines or energy flow in the atmosphere.

5. Can isothermal coordinates be used in all systems and situations?

While isothermal coordinates are useful in many scientific studies, they may not always be the most appropriate coordinate system to use. They are most commonly used in systems where temperature and energy distributions are important, but may not be as useful in other situations such as studying the motion of objects in space.