Is f(x) = 1/log|x| Continuous at x=0?

• Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, the discussion revolves around the continuity of the function f(x) = 1/log|x| at x=0. The book states that it is discontinuous, while someone else believes it is continuous. To prove that it is discontinuous, it is shown that the function is not defined at x=0. However, if the definition is expanded to include f(0)=0, then it becomes continuous. Another example is given to show that the limit of a function at x=0 existing does not necessarily mean it is continuous. Finally, it is noted that any numerical grapher can only show an approximate graph and not the exact function.
zorro
Is the function f(x) = 1/log|x| discontinuous at x=0? My book says yes. It is continuous according to me. Can somebody verify?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that all you have to show is that given some [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex], you can always find a [itex]\delta>0[/itex], so that for any x fulfilling [itex]0<x<\delta[/itex], we have:
[tex]\frac{1}{|\log|x||}<\epsilon[/tex]

The function f is not defined for x=0 and this is a condition, so it is not continuous in 0.

Note however, that if you expand the definition of f, so that f(0)=0, then it is continuous in 0.

My bad.
Of course it is discontinuous at x=0, since it isn't defined there.
I Like Serena has pointed out how to make a continuous extension of f, a feat that is possible since the limit of f at x=0 exists.

For another example, the function
[tex]f(x)= \frac{x^2- 1}{x- 1}[/tex]
is NOT continuous at x= 0 even though for all x except 0 it is equal to x+ 1 which is.

No it does not.
It shows a function where the two-sided limit at x=0 exists.
That is not sufficient to establish continuity.

Any numerical grapher can show only an "approximate" graph since it can calculate values only for a finite number of points.

The function f(x) = 1/log|x| for all x non-zero, 0 for x=0 is continuous.

HallsofIvy said:
For another example, the function
[tex]f(x)= \frac{x^2- 1}{x- 1}[/tex]
is NOT continuous at x= 0 even though for all x except 0 it is equal to x+ 1 which is.

I assume you mean x=1 for that function. It's well-defined at x=0, it's f(0)=1.

Thanks to all!

1. What is the domain of the function f(x)=1/log|x|?

The domain of the function f(x)=1/log|x| is all real numbers except for x=0 and x=1.

2. Is the function f(x)=1/log|x| continuous?

Yes, the function f(x)=1/log|x| is continuous on its entire domain.

3. What is the limit of f(x) as x approaches 0 from the left?

The limit of f(x) as x approaches 0 from the left is negative infinity.

4. Does the function have any vertical asymptotes?

Yes, the function has a vertical asymptote at x=0.

5. What is the range of the function f(x)=1/log|x|?

The range of the function f(x)=1/log|x| is all real numbers except for 0.