Pillow choice - neck pain and headaches

• Medical
  • Thread starter zeion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice Pain
In summary: Walmart for $10. Had I known how awesome these pillows were, I would have bought them all, they stopped carrying them.I need this. Keep your eyes open if you see one online.I've found that one of those squishy little pillows that I can mold to my head, holds my neck in the correct position (I'm a side sleeper). It has stopped the neck and shoulder pain, also I added a huge ultra soft fine goose down pillow to raise myself up and take pressure off my neck and shoulders.So I tried googling "squishy little pillows" but didn't turn out much. Are they called micro
zeion
Hi there,

I need some advice as to improve my sleep quality. I have not been able to sleep very well and usually wake up with a stiff neck and headache sometimes in the morning. My neck is relatively long and I don't feel that my uncomfortable pillow is doing what it should.

Can you recommend me some more exquisite options like neck comforters or massage machines or the like? Please direct me to a website or a brand, thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
I've found that one of those squishy little pillows that I can mold to my head, holds my neck in the correct position (I'm a side sleeper). It has stopped the neck and shoulder pain, also I added a huge ultra soft fine goose down pillow to raise myself up and take pressure off my neck and shoulders.

Last edited:
Evo said:
I've found that one of those squishy little pillows that I can mold to my head, holds my neck in the correct position (I'm a side sleeper). It has stopped the neck and should pain, also I added a huge ultra soft fine goose down pillow to raise myself up and take pressure off my neck and shoulders.

So I tried googling "squishy little pillows" but didn't turn out much. Are they called microbead pillows?

zeion said:
So I tried googling "squishy little pillows" but didn't turn out much. Are they called microbead pillows?
Yes, that's it. Mine is a small square pillow, bought it at Walmart for $10. Had I known how awesome these pillows were, I would have bought them all, they stopped carrying them.

Last edited:
I need this. Keep your eyes open if you see one online.

My wife and I have sculpted pillows made of memory-foam. They have a gentle curve that accommodates your neck (sleeping on your side) and helps prevent aches. Similar to Bodipedic pillows, but I don't know the brand.

I have a Silvana pillow, which is also a molded one. At the neck there is a different material used than the rest of the pillow, they have a whole range for different conditions/preferences:

http://fortistextiles.com/silvana-pillow-picker-chart.html/ [Broken]

Here's more general info: http://www.jade.eu/pillows/about-silvana-pillows/ [Broken]

Make sure you find out what you need exactly out of a pillow and pay good attention to your body when trying out pillows in a store.

Last edited by a moderator:
zeion said:
Hi there,

I need some advice as to improve my sleep quality. I have not been able to sleep very well and usually wake up with a stiff neck and headache sometimes in the morning. My neck is relatively long and I don't feel that my uncomfortable pillow is doing what it should.

Can you recommend me some more exquisite options like neck comforters or massage machines or the like? Please direct me to a website or a brand, thanks.

Have you tried using no pillow when sleeping on your back? I only use a pillow when sleeping on my side.

What if I sleep on my face?

zeion said:
What if I sleep on my face?
Perhaps that's your problem.

My youngest daughter sleeps on her stomach and complains of back pains. Coincidence?

She has slept in the same weird position since she was a baby, when I would lay her on her stomach.

Last edited:
I had exactly the same problem! When it was really bad, I tried various pillows, but it wasn't until I switched mattresses that the pain and headaches finally began to subside. I liked the new mattress so much (Perfect Dreamer from Nine Clouds) that I bought exactly the same one when I moved up to a queen size. It has just the right level of firmness for me.

More importantly, though, I noticed that the problem always improves when I'm getting regular exercise (like playing ultimate frisbee once a week).

So although switching pillows seems like an easy solution, I think that the biggest factors are actually mattress and physical exercise. Even just doing 15 mins of yoga a couple of times a week will help a lot. Might sound stupid, but it'd be cheaper than buying a new mattress.

When I had bad neck and shoulder pain, my doctor recommended I roll a bath towel and use it as a pillow or to add to my pillow. A bit tough but works great. Once you find the right thickness and where exactly to put it, it is a big relief.

It is hard to find the right pillow, essentially it is supposed to keep your neck in line with your spine and head, and you never know what height it will be when your head rests on it.

The towel thing cut for me, then I found a small blanket rolled into a case and that's what I am using.

Also, lying on your back on a gym mat and profoundly relaxing all your muscles does help.

1. What type of pillow is best for neck pain and headaches?

The best type of pillow for neck pain and headaches is one that provides proper support for your neck and head while also promoting proper alignment of your spine. Look for pillows that are specifically designed for neck pain or have adjustable loft to cater to your individual needs.

2. Does the material of the pillow matter for neck pain and headaches?

Yes, the material of the pillow can make a difference in alleviating neck pain and headaches. Memory foam pillows are often recommended as they conform to the shape of your head and neck, providing support and pressure relief. Other materials such as latex and down can also be suitable, depending on personal preference and individual needs.

3. How do I know if my pillow is causing my neck pain and headaches?

If you consistently wake up with neck pain and headaches, it is possible that your pillow may be the culprit. Pay attention to the firmness and support of your pillow, and consider trying a different type of pillow if your current one does not provide adequate support.

4. Is a higher or lower loft better for neck pain and headaches?

The loft, or height, of a pillow can vary depending on personal preference and the position you sleep in. Generally, a medium loft pillow that keeps your head and neck in a neutral position is recommended for those with neck pain and headaches. However, it is important to try out different lofts to find what works best for you.

5. Are there any specific features to look for in a pillow for neck pain and headaches?

When looking for a pillow to alleviate neck pain and headaches, it is important to consider the support, loft, and material of the pillow. Additionally, some pillows may have additional features such as cooling properties or adjustable loft to cater to individual needs. It may also be beneficial to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized recommendations.