How to protect my computer from viruses?

• Thread starter tofayel521
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, AVAST is a good program to use if you want to avoid viruses. MacAfee and Symantic are not very good, and you can run Windows in the background if you need to.
tofayel521
Hi,
Would anybody tell me that how can I recognize the viruses so that I may give up clearly?

Regards,

Computer science news on Phys.org
Download AVAST free home version and install it. The virus definitions are updated at least once a day. I have gotten MacAfee and Symantic as "free" add-ons with the past couple of of computers that I bought. They are both useless, IMO. When a company tries to do too much (in addition to their core business), how can you expect them to keep up with current threats that pop up daily?

I gave AGV a try for a bit, but settled on AVAST. YMMV.

AVAST, AVG, and Avira are the 3 most popular free anti-virus programs. In addition you should have a firewall.

I just bought a new computer and installed fedora (linux) on it. Absolutely love it. Fast, stable, and no need to buy or download antiviral software that kills the performance of your comp by eating up vast amounts of resources while it is scanning all of the time. If you really, really need windows, you can run it in the background through fedora. I've been windows free for almost a month now and have no qualms about it. Plus all the programs are free. It's really not that hard to be windows free these days. Online support is much better for linux than it used to be back in the old days.

Last edited:
Or rather than change your OS you can download a free scanner.

MikeyW said:
Or rather than change your OS you can download a free scanner.

Or, like I said you can run windows in the background if you need it without needing AV software that eats up huge amounts of resources. And god help you if you get one of those rootkit infections that are increasingly going around. AV software almost never gets rid of it.

1. How do I know if my computer has a virus?

Some signs that your computer may have a virus include slow performance, unexpected pop-up ads, and unexplained changes to your files or settings. You may also notice strange error messages or your computer freezing or crashing frequently.

2. What is the best antivirus software to use?

There are many reputable antivirus software options available, such as Norton, McAfee, and Avast. It's important to do your research and choose one that fits your specific needs and budget. It's also important to regularly update your antivirus software to ensure it is able to detect and protect against new viruses.

3. How often should I scan my computer for viruses?

It's recommended to scan your computer for viruses at least once a week, or more frequently if you frequently download files from the internet or receive files from external sources.

4. Can I get a virus from opening email attachments?

Yes, it is possible to get a virus from opening email attachments. It's important to be cautious when opening attachments from unknown senders and to always have antivirus software running to detect and prevent any potential threats.

5. How can I prevent viruses from infecting my computer?

There are several steps you can take to protect your computer from viruses. These include having reputable antivirus software installed and regularly updated, being cautious when clicking on links or opening attachments from unknown sources, and avoiding downloading files from untrustworthy websites. You should also regularly backup your important files and be cautious when using external storage devices on your computer.