Abstract Algebra: Groups and Subgroups

In summary, the problem asks us to show that H is closed under the binary operation *. By definition, associativity is needed three times to solve the problem.
taylor81792
The problem says: Suppose that * is an associative binary operation on a set S.
Let H= {a ε S l a * x = x * a for all x ε s}. Show that H is closed under *. ( We think of H as consisting of all elements of S that commute with every element in S)

My teacher is horrible so I am pretty lost in the class. I am aware of what the associative property is, but I'm not sure how to go about solving this question when it comes to the binary operation. This is going to be on my exam so I need to know how to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
A binary operation is nothing but a two-variable function. It takes two elements of the set G and gives a new element. In other words, a binary operation is a function *: G[itex]\times[/itex]G → G and G is a set. Since * is a function on two-variables and its domain is a cartesian product of two sets, the elements in * are ordered pairs like (x,y), we define (x,y) := x*y. If x*y is in G, we say G is closed under the operation *.

Are those definitions clear? Now, your problem asks us to show that H is closed under *. To do that you should take two arbitrary elements of H, like h and h' and show that h*h' is also in H. You don't need to use associativity to solve this problem, the associativity is later needed when you want to show that H is a subgroup of G.

That helps a lot! Thank you!

AdrianZ said:
A binary operation is nothing but a two-variable function. It takes two elements of the set G and gives a new element. In other words, a binary operation is a function *: G[itex]\times[/itex]G → G and G is a set. Since * is a function on two-variables and its domain is a cartesian product of two sets, the elements in * are ordered pairs like (x,y), we define (x,y) := x*y. If x*y is in G, we say G is closed under the operation *.

Are those definitions clear? Now, your problem asks us to show that H is closed under *. To do that you should take two arbitrary elements of H, like h and h' and show that h*h' is also in H. You don't need to use associativity to solve this problem, the associativity is later needed when you want to show that H is a subgroup of G.

(emphasis mine)

yes, you DO. suppose we want to show that h*h' is in H whenever h,h' are. by definition, this means we want to show that:

(h*h')*x = x*(h*h'), for all x in S.

to actually DO this, we might proceed like this:

(h*h')*x = h*(h'*x) <---this is where we need associativity

= h*(x*h') (by definition of H, since h' is in H)

= (h*x)*h' <---associativity used AGAIN

= (x*h)*h' (since h is in H)

= x*(h*h') <---associativity used for a THIRD time.

Deveno said:
(emphasis mine)

yes, you DO. suppose we want to show that h*h' is in H whenever h,h' are. by definition, this means we want to show that:

(h*h')*x = x*(h*h'), for all x in S.

to actually DO this, we might proceed like this:

(h*h')*x = h*(h'*x) <---this is where we need associativity

= h*(x*h') (by definition of H, since h' is in H)

= (h*x)*h' <---associativity used AGAIN

= (x*h)*h' (since h is in H)

= x*(h*h') <---associativity used for a THIRD time.

indeed. you're right, I didn't do all the steps because the problem looked so straight and simple but you're right.

Thank you so much

1. What is the definition of a group in abstract algebra?

A group in abstract algebra is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements in the set to produce a third element in the set. The operation must be associative, have an identity element, and have an inverse element for every element in the set.

2. What is a subgroup and how is it related to a group?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that also forms a group under the same operation. This means that the elements in a subgroup must satisfy the same properties as the elements in the original group, and the operation must also be closed within the subgroup.

3. Can a subgroup have a different number of elements than the original group?

Yes, a subgroup can have a different number of elements than the original group. For example, a subgroup of the group of integers under addition can be the set of even numbers, which has fewer elements than the original group.

4. How do you determine whether a subset of a group is a subgroup?

To determine whether a subset of a group is a subgroup, you must first check if the subset is closed under the group operation. This means that when you combine any two elements in the subset, the result must also be in the subset. Additionally, you must check if the identity element and inverse element of the original group are also in the subset.

5. What is the significance of subgroups in abstract algebra?

Subgroups are important in abstract algebra because they allow us to study smaller, more manageable groups within a larger group. They also help us to understand the structure and properties of a group by identifying patterns and relationships between its subgroups. Subgroups are also useful in applications such as coding theory and cryptography.