Horizontal lift, or parallel transport

In summary, Nakahara said that we could use the similar method in the attachment to get \tilde X, but why does the first term have g_i(t)^{-1}. According to the first figure, the first term should have the following formR_{g_i(t)*}\sigma_{i*}XSince R_{g*}X=Xg, it becomes(\sigma_{i*}X)g_i(t)So there shouldn't be g_i(t)^{-1}. But why did the author put it there? Thank you!
qinglong.1397
Hello, everyone!

I'm studying Nakahara's book, Geometry, Topology and Physics and now studying the connection theory. I come across a problem. Please look at the two attachments.

In the attachment
Screenshot-1.jpg
, Nakahara said we could use the similar method in the attachment
Screenshot.jpg
to get [itex]\tilde X[/itex], but why does the first term have [itex]g_i(t)^{-1}[/itex]. According to the first figure, the first term should have the following form

[itex]R_{g_i(t)*}\sigma_{i*}X[/itex]

Since [itex]R_{g*}X=Xg[/itex], it becomes

[itex](\sigma_{i*}X)g_i(t)[/itex]

So there shouldn't be [itex]g_i(t)^{-1}[/itex]. But why did the author put it there? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.
When I read this chapter I found this strange. I think it's a mistake. The next equation however is right by (10.3b')

bloby said:
Hello.
When I read this chapter I found this strange. I think it's a mistake. The next equation however is right by (10.3b')

Hey, thanks for your reply! But what is "the next equation", the second equation in the first attachment? If so, I cannot agree with you, because there is no a pullback of a right action.

I have to read this chapter again. Here is what I wrote for me:

[tex]0=\omega\left(\tilde{X}\right)=\omega\left(R_{g_{i}*}\left(\sigma_{i*}X\right)\right)+\omega\left(\left[g_{i}^{-1}dg_{i}\left(X\right)\right]^{\#}\right)=R_{g_{i}}^{*}\omega\left(\sigma_{i*}X\right)+g_{i}^{-1}dg_{i}\left(X\right)=g_{i}^{-1}\omega\left(\sigma_{i*}X\right)g_{i}+g_{i}^{-1}\frac{dg_{i}}{dt}[/tex]

[tex] 0=\omega(\tilde{X})=\omega(R_{g_{i}*}(\sigma_{i*}X))+\omega([g_{i}^{-1}dg_{i}(X)]^{\sharp})=R_{g_{i}}^{*}\omega(\sigma_{i*}X)+g_{i}^{-1}dg_{i}(X)=g_{i}^{-1}\omega(\sigma_{i*}X)g_{i}+g_{i}^{-1}\frac{dg_{i}}{dt} [/tex]

bloby said:
[tex] 0=\omega(\tilde{X})=\omega(R_{g_{i}*}(\sigma_{i*}X))+\omega([g_{i}^{-1}dg_{i}(X)]^{\sharp})=R_{g_{i}}^{*}\omega(\sigma_{i*}X)+g_{i}^{-1}dg_{i}(X)=g_{i}^{-1}\omega(\sigma_{i*}X)g_{i}+g_{i}^{-1}\frac{dg_{i}}{dt} [/tex]

Great! Thank you very much!

1. What is horizontal lift?

Horizontal lift is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to describe the parallel transport of a vector along a curve on a curved surface. It allows for the comparison of tangent vectors at different points on the surface by keeping them in a horizontal position relative to the surface.

2. What is parallel transport?

Parallel transport is the process of moving a vector along a curve while keeping it in the same direction relative to the surface it is being transported on. This allows for the comparison of vectors at different points on the surface without any changes in their direction or magnitude.

3. How is horizontal lift related to parallel transport?

Horizontal lift is a specific type of parallel transport, where the transported vector remains in a horizontal position relative to the surface. This is achieved by using a connection, or a way to move the vector along the surface while keeping it parallel to itself.

4. Why is horizontal lift important in differential geometry?

Horizontal lift is important in differential geometry because it allows for the study of tangent vectors at different points on a curved surface. It also plays a crucial role in the development of the concept of curvature, as it allows for the comparison of tangent vectors at different points to determine the change in their direction and magnitude.

5. How is horizontal lift used in real-world applications?

Horizontal lift has applications in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used in the development of mathematical models for objects moving on curved surfaces, such as celestial bodies in space. In computer graphics, horizontal lift is used to create realistic animations of objects moving on curved surfaces.