Convert 24V to 12V for Scooter Horn Wiring

• Thread starter elevfan7072
  • Start date
  • Tags
    12v
In summary, if you want to wire a horn to a 24V scooter, the easiest solution is to wire two identical 12V horns in series. This will produce twice as much noise without wasting any power. Another option is to visit a local vehicle wreckers and search for a 24V horn. If you choose to use only one horn, you could use a 7812 regulator but will need to consider the horn current and power dissipation. Alternatively, you could use a DC-DC converter to drop the voltage with less power dissipation, such as the Simple Switcher series from National Instruments.
elevfan7072
I recently found a 24v scooter on Craigslist. I would look forward to wiring a horn to it. I don't know what kind of resistor I should use.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wire two identical 12V horns in series. That is the easiest solution. Alternatively, you are going to need to waste power in a dropper resistor and you would need to work out its value. Two horns in series will produce twice as much noise and waste no power. Plus, you won't need to do any sums!

And the other obvious alternative is ...

there are plenty of 24V horns available for trucks etc
take a trip to your local vehicle wreckers and look through the recovered parts.
many wreckers let you look through vehicles yourself and recover the part you need ... take it to the counter and pay for it

Dave

Oh Or if I only use one I could just use a 7812!

elevfan7072 said:
Oh Or if I only use one I could just use a 7812!

You certainly could, but you will need to figure out the horn current and then how much power that means when you drop 12V across the 7812. Luckily the horn will only be used intermittantly, so it may not take much heat sinking of the 7812 to make it work.

A better solution is to use a DC-DC converter (buck topology) to drop the voltage with little power dissipation. The Simple Switcher series of DC-DC converters from National Instruments is a good place to start if you want to try that route...

you will probably find that the current requird by one 12V vehicle type horn well exceeds the 1A capability of a 7812 regulator chip.

Dave

1. How can I convert 24V to 12V for my scooter horn?

The most common method for converting 24V to 12V for a scooter horn is by using a voltage regulator. This device controls the output voltage and can be easily installed in the electrical system of the scooter.

2. Can I use a resistor to convert 24V to 12V for my scooter horn?

It is not recommended to use a resistor to convert 24V to 12V for a scooter horn. This method can cause the resistor to heat up and potentially damage the electrical system of the scooter.

3. What is the purpose of converting 24V to 12V for a scooter horn?

Many scooters are designed to run on a 24V electrical system, while most horns require a 12V power supply. By converting the voltage, you can ensure that the horn is receiving the correct amount of power and functions properly.

4. Is it necessary to convert 24V to 12V for a scooter horn?

If your scooter already has a 12V electrical system, then there is no need to convert the voltage for the horn. However, if your scooter runs on a 24V system, then conversion is necessary for the horn to work.

5. Can I use a universal converter to convert 24V to 12V for my scooter horn?

Universal converters can be used to convert voltage for various devices, but it is important to make sure that it is compatible with the electrical system of your scooter. It is recommended to use a voltage regulator specifically designed for scooters for the most efficient and safe conversion.