Calculate the amount of heat added to the ideal monatomic gas

• Thread starter Tab Caps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Heat
In summary: He used pV=nRT to find the initial temperature and pressure. Next, he determined the amount of heat needed to reach the final temperature by using dQ=n(Cv)dT. The final temperature and pressure were 548 K and 414 K, respectively.
Tab Caps

Homework Statement

Three moles of an ideal monatomic gas expand at a constant pressure of 3.00 atm ; the volume of the gas changes from 3.40×10^-2 m^3 to 4.50×10^-2 m^3

Calculate the amount of heat added to the gas

Homework Equations

pV = nRT
dQ=nCvdT
Cv = (3/2)R for a monatomic ideal gas

The Attempt at a Solution

Using pV = nRT I found that the initial temperature Ti = 414 K and Tf = 548 K.

Then I want to use the equation dQ = n(Cv)dT to solve for the amount of heat added in the system. The correct answer is 8360 J, but when I do:

3*(3/2)*R*(548-414) = 5010 J

I think my problem is coming from not understanding the difference between dT and [itex]\Delta[/itex]T, or dQ and [itex]\Delta[/itex] Q. I actually know Δ is just the change (final-initial), and the derivative is the infinitesimal rate of change, so perhaps I'm just trying the wrong formula since I don't have dT? Or is there a way to figure out dT from what I'm given?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tab Caps said:
I think my problem is coming from not understanding the difference between dT and [itex]\Delta[/itex]T, or dQ and [itex]\Delta[/itex] Q. I actually know Δ is just the change (final-initial), and the derivative is the infinitesimal rate of change, so perhaps I'm just trying the wrong formula since I don't have dT? Or is there a way to figure out dT from what I'm given?
Since nothing in the equation depends on ##T## or ##Q##, you can write
$$
\begin{array}{rcl}
dQ & = & n C_V dT \\
\int_{Q_i}^{Q_f} dQ & = & n C_V \int_{T_i}^{T_f} dT \\
\left. Q \right|_{Q_i}^{Q_f} & = & n C_V \left[ T \right]_{T_i}^{T_f} \\
\Delta Q & = & n C_V \Delta T
\end{array}
$$
So that is not your problem.

Look carefully at the equation. What does ##V## in ##C_V## stand for?

Hi Tab Caps. Welcome to Physics Forums.

You need to apply the first law. How much work was done on the surroundings?

You already calculated the change in internal energy of the gas. According to the first law, the total heat added is equal to the change in internal energy plus the work done on the surroundings.

Dr Claude alluded to a better (equivalent) way of getting the same result, by recalling that, in a constant pressure process on a closed system, the heat added is equal to the change in enthalpy. For an ideal gas, do you remember how the enthalpy change is related to the temperature change?

Chet

1. How do you calculate the amount of heat added to an ideal monatomic gas?

To calculate the amount of heat added to an ideal monatomic gas, you can use the formula Q = nCvΔT, where Q is the amount of heat, n is the number of moles of gas, Cv is the molar specific heat at constant volume, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. What is an ideal monatomic gas?

An ideal monatomic gas is a theoretical gas that consists of particles that have no internal structure and do not interact with each other. This means that they do not have any potential energy and only possess kinetic energy.

3. How do you determine the number of moles of gas in the calculation?

The number of moles of gas can be determined by dividing the mass of the gas by its molar mass. This can be calculated using the formula n = m/M, where n is the number of moles, m is the mass of the gas, and M is the molar mass.

4. What is the molar specific heat at constant volume?

The molar specific heat at constant volume, denoted as Cv, is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one mole of a gas by one degree Celsius while keeping the volume constant.

5. Can this calculation be used for non-ideal gases?

No, this calculation is specifically for ideal monatomic gases. Non-ideal gases have more complex behavior and require different equations to calculate the amount of heat added.