Need help with a wire/metal product

• Thread starter jmart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary: Thanks for all the input so far!In summary, Mike is looking for a flexible, weight-bearing cable that can be bent and twisted. He has found PVC wire/cable, but it may not be what he is looking for. He has also found Flexbar d16 positioners, which could be a possible solution. However, he is not sure if it is too flexible.
jmart
I am working on developing a new product but don't have an engineering/materials background so your input would be appreciated.

The core of this product will be a wire/cable. It needs to have properties that make it very flexible and bendable and that can be somewhat weight bearing while still staying in place. It also needs to be able to be wrapped (bent and twisted) and unwrapped for later use, while not having to be perfectly straight after unwound. .

If I were to have a 3-4 foot piece of wire and hold it straight out in front of me, what type of wire would let me hang a 1 or 2 lb. item on the end of it without collapsing?

I have found PVC wire/cable but not sure if this is what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations on this? Or perhaps you know another forum or website to put me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oh, man... that business of supporting weight at a distance might be a deal breaker. Whatever you use would probably be considered a rod or beam rather than a wire.
Before I got to that part of your question, I was thinking of NiTiNOL shape memory metal. You can deform that stuff as much as you want to, then when you heat it up it snaps back into its original configuration.

Danger said:
Oh, man... that business of supporting weight at a distance might be a deal breaker. Whatever you use would probably be considered a rod or beam rather than a wire.
Before I got to that part of your question, I was thinking of NiTiNOL shape memory metal. You can deform that stuff as much as you want to, then when you heat it up it snaps back into its original configuration.

Thanks much, I will check it out.

jmart said:
I am working on developing a new product but don't have an engineering/materials background so your input would be appreciated.

The core of this product will be a wire/cable. It needs to have properties that make it very flexible and bendable and that can be somewhat weight bearing while still staying in place. It also needs to be able to be wrapped (bent and twisted) and unwrapped for later use, while not having to be perfectly straight after unwound. .

If I were to have a 3-4 foot piece of wire and hold it straight out in front of me, what type of wire would let me hang a 1 or 2 lb. item on the end of it without collapsing?

I have found PVC wire/cable but not sure if this is what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations on this? Or perhaps you know another forum or website to put me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the PF.

What's wrong with standard stranded steel cable?

Mike, remember that he wants it to be extremely flexible as well. I can't see how he can get both that and weight-bearing rigidity in the same material.

He might want to go with something similar to a collapsible fishing rod if he needs it to be more compact for storage.

You don't ask for much, do you?

Maybe something like this could point to you a solution.

flexbar2.gif

I call these things "flexible gage positioner" and using that as a search string turns up a few hits. They are used to easily / quickly position dial indicators. So they can be found on production tooling supply websites.

http://www.flexbar.com/shop/pc/Flexbar-d16.htm

You can bend them, twist them, rotate them, and then lock them into rigid position that will support a substantial load.
But your design probably requires more flexibility than this will provide.

Cool tool, tygerdawg! Thanks :smile:

berkeman said:
Cool tool, tygerdawg! Thanks :smile:

The last time that I saw something like that was in my proctologist's office and I'm never going back.

Haha, thanks guys I appreciate the feedback!

Oh, hey now!
How about using a small hose instead of a wire, such as the one on my Badger airbrush? It's very flexible, but I bet that it can hold up a bit of weight if you pump 200psi into it.

Tygerdawg I think that's a bit too heavy duty/industrial compared to what I am looking for.

I need something lighter - more of a wire that can then be coated with something soft like a foam. This will be a consumer product that will primarily be used in homes/cars.

I always hate to say this to anyone, Jmart, but I honestly don't think that what you want is achievable with current technology. You would have to combine polymers with metals and maybe even liquids... If you manage to get this thing going, you might open up a new branch of materials science.

If you extruded Kevlar inside of a thick polyurethane tube,
you could inflate the tube with compressed air, and it would become
very stiff. without the air flexible.
You could test something like this with regular wire, as long as there is some
air space to allow inflation,

1. What type of wire/metal products can you help me with?

As a scientist, I specialize in the design and development of various wire and metal products. This includes but is not limited to wires for electronics, metal components for machinery, and structural metal products for construction.

2. Can you provide customized solutions for my specific needs?

Yes, I am able to provide customized solutions for your specific needs. I have extensive knowledge and experience in material properties and can design and create products according to your specifications.

3. How long does the process of creating a wire/metal product take?

The timeline for creating a wire/metal product depends on the complexity and size of the project. However, as a scientist, I am dedicated to efficient and timely work and will provide you with an estimated timeline for your project.

4. What materials do you use for wire/metal products?

I have expertise in working with a wide range of materials, including but not limited to copper, aluminum, steel, and various alloys. The choice of material will depend on the specific requirements and functions of the product.

5. Can you provide testing and quality control for the wire/metal products?

Yes, I am able to provide testing and quality control for the wire/metal products I design and create. I have access to advanced equipment and techniques to ensure the highest quality and functionality of the products.