What Makes the Metric System Essential for NASA's Mars Mission?

In summary, the 6 minute video was long on visuals and explosions, but lacked scientific details and accuracy. The use of sound in space and the delay in communication between Earth and Mars were also inaccurately portrayed. However, the video was still able to capture the attention of viewers. It is a reflection of the preference for Hollywood-style production values, rather than accurate scientific representation. Additionally, there is a push towards using metric units in the scientific community, as seen in the conversion to metric at NASA JSC.
Naty1
6 minute video.
Long on visuals, short of science details...
but I found myself watching to the end.
Lots of explosions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRCIzZHpFtY

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not just short of scientific details, but very misleading and disappointing.

Yes, lots of explosions making noise out where there should be silence. When the narrorator first comes in he mentions that it is not necessary to run the engines, but just coast... and the craft is depicted to be doing that, yet we still have a noisy racket going on... as if the craft is going through air at high speed. Before Mars reentry, the craft is still making that roaring sound through space...

Control room talk says this is happening "now" and "... 3, 2,1, mark!" and "At this point in time we should be on the ground"...as we see it received from Mars long after it happened...

I know after a few generations of people watching Hollywood space operas on TV and in the theaters they expect explosions to make noise in space, and zooming through space to make noise, and communications delays between distant places to be nonexistent, but why continue to support these fundamental misapprehensions here?

My generation was starting grade school when Glenn made his orbits; we were very interested in space. By the time we stopped believing in Santa Claus, we would have noticed these problems with the video. Yet, over 50 years later this is what we are presented to watch?

Music was a little creepy, too. :)

Control room talk says this is happening "now" and "... 3, 2,1, mark!" and "At this point in time we should be on the ground"...as we see it received from Mars long after it happened...

I thought that comment was made while they were awaiting communication confirmation. I thought the point was that the communication confirmed what they hoped was already a successful landing.

On the other hand, I think your points are well taken because I'm not watching it over and over to get additional details!

edit: It's a rare depiction of activities in outer space that are silent...2001 a Space Odyessy is the only one that comes to mind...Star Wars,etc, seemed to have an abundence of booms and bangs!

Last edited:
bahamagreen said:
Control room talk says this is happening "now" and "... 3, 2,1, mark!" and "At this point in time we should be on the ground"...as we see it received from Mars long after it happened…
That portion of the video is a live recording from the Spirit landing back in 2004. The same thing happened with the Apollo programs. The 1.3 second one-way delay became apparent when Mission Control in Houston and the astronauts on the Moon talked to one another. When the Apollo controllers looked at telemetry, they used words such as "now" and countdowns to a mark.

The primary purpose of the controller voice loop is for the controllers to talk to one another, to ensure that everyone is on the same page. The Spirit mission controllers knew exactly what those happening "now" and "… 3, 2, 1, mark" phrases meant. They meant they should be looking at the telemetry for signs of proper deployment. There was no reason to qualify those statements by "we should be coming up on the parachute deployment telemetry, which actually happened several minutes ago."

I know all that... my position is that the video is using the typical Hollywood thriller production values which tend to hide all that from the uninformed viewer, which I consider a scientific shame.

I may be more sensitive to it because I gave up TV and movies over 30 years ago.

lol - "miles" per hour...

I know, I know... it's a decades old battle, but I think science kinda prefers metric now??just my 2 cents

When I worked at NASA JSC the weekly site newsletter chose this headline to report progress on the conversion to metric...

"JSC Reaches Metric Milestone"

I had to show that to quite a few people before someone got it and laughed.

1. What is the purpose of a "How to get to Mars" video?

The purpose of a "How to get to Mars" video is to educate and inform viewers about the various aspects of traveling to Mars, including the technology, challenges, and potential benefits of such a mission.

2. Who should watch a "How to get to Mars" video?

A "How to get to Mars" video can be beneficial for anyone interested in space exploration, science, technology, or the future of humanity. It can also be useful for students, teachers, and researchers.

3. What topics are typically covered in a "How to get to Mars" video?

A "How to get to Mars" video may cover topics such as the history of Mars exploration, the current state of technology for space travel, the challenges of a Mars mission, and the potential benefits for humanity and scientific discovery.

4. Is a "How to get to Mars" video based on real science?

Yes, a "How to get to Mars" video is typically based on real science and research conducted by scientists and engineers. However, some videos may also include speculative or hypothetical ideas for future missions.

5. Can watching a "How to get to Mars" video help me become an astronaut?

Watching a "How to get to Mars" video can provide valuable information and knowledge about space travel, but it does not directly impact your chances of becoming an astronaut. Pursuing a degree in a scientific or technological field, as well as gaining experience in relevant industries, are more likely to increase your chances of becoming an astronaut.