Computable Normal Numbers: Is There a Known Answer?

In summary: The existence of a polynomial-time computable normal number would likely not ruin many conjectures, as most of the commonly known computable numbers are also believed to be absolutely normal.
Dragonfall
Wikipedia is not very clear on this. Is there a known computable normal number?

I found this paper:

http://www.glyc.dc.uba.ar/santiago/papers/absnor.pdf

But I'm not sure if it's been peer reviewed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean with "computable"?

Anyway, consider the Campernowne constant. It is just

[tex]0.123456789101112131415161718192021222324...[/tex]

This is known to be normal (one of the very few explicit numbers known to be normal, although it is also known that "most" numbers are normal). And it will probably also satisfy your criterium of computability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champernowne_constant

Now, your paper (which certainly is peer-reviewed and correct!) shows the existence not only of a computable normal number, but of an computable absolutely normal number. This means that it is normal in any integer base ##\geq 2##. Champernowne's constant is only known to be normal in base ##10##. I don't think any other examples of absolutely normal computable numbers are known, but I'm not an expert.

Last edited:
Yes, I meant "absolutely normal". Computable means digits are enumerable by a Turing machine or uniform family of circuits. That paper presents a super-exponential-time algorithm for computing Sierpinski's construction.

Is there a known polynomial-time computable normal number?

How many conjectures will the existence of such a number ruin?

Dragonfall said:

How many conjectures will the existence of such a number ruin?

Very few of significance, I expect. (In fact, it's conjectured that most of the computable mathematical constants we're familiar with pi or Euler's number are absolutely normal.)

Good point.

What are computable normal numbers?

Computable normal numbers are real numbers that have the property of being normal and also being computable. This means that their digits follow a specific pattern and can be calculated or generated by a computer algorithm.

How do computable normal numbers differ from regular normal numbers?

Regular normal numbers are real numbers that have a random distribution of digits, while computable normal numbers have a specific and predictable pattern to their digits. This makes them easier to calculate and generate than regular normal numbers.

Is there a known answer to whether computable normal numbers exist?

No, there is not a definitive answer to this question. While there are many examples of computable normal numbers, it is still an open question whether all normal numbers are also computable.

What are some applications of computable normal numbers?

Computable normal numbers have applications in various fields, such as cryptography, random number generation, and data compression. They also have implications for the study of randomness and the foundations of mathematics.

How are computable normal numbers relevant to computer science?

Computable normal numbers are relevant to computer science because they demonstrate the concept of computability, which is a fundamental idea in computer science. They also have practical applications in various areas of computer science, such as in algorithms and data structures.