Trying to understand emission and absorption

In summary, the emission and absorption lines in spectra are not actually discrete, but rather have a natural lineshape due to the finite lifetime of the excited state. This lineshape is typically a lorentzian, but there are also other broadening mechanisms, such as doppler broadening, which can give the appearance of a gaussian lineshape. Line radiation refers to the specific emission and absorption at these discrete energy levels, while continuum radiation is a constant background of radiation.
nabeel17
I cannot wrap my head around this stuff. Sorry if long post.

I understand that emission lines come from a higher energy state dropping to a lower state. This happens at discrete energy levels, which should correspond to discrete frequencies. And the same atom should be able to absorb photons at those same energy/frequency. Yet when you look at an absorption or emission profile you see a curve (looks Gaussian) rather then delta functions. I can't understand this? Is there a probability that the atom will absorb or emit photons not at that discrete frequency?

Also recombination produces emission and do those photons have energy = to the ionization energy? Will this also be a spectrum rather then a delta function?

I also don't understand the idea of line radiation and continuum radiation. Say I have some line and it travels through a gas cloud. The cloud can absorb some of it or emit and add to it. I saw in class that there's a line absorption profile and a continuum profile. The line profile is the gaussian looking shape and the continuum profile is a constant (or practically constant). What are these? Sorry if this is a little vague

Physics news on Phys.org
There's more than one broadening mechanism. The most fundamental one is due to the fact that the atom only spend a finite amount of time in the excited state. The quantization of the energies happen because the wavefunction (naively speaking) are circling around the nucleus and "bites itself in the tail". For all radii where it does not evenly come full circle you have destructive interference and consequently no stable orbits. However, it takes a finite amount of time to resolve the destructive intereference, and the closer two frequency components are the longer time it takes. Thus given a certain lifetime of the excited state, it must also have a certain frequency width ascociated with it where Δf ~ 1/Δt. This is the natural lineshape and has the shape of a lorentzian (not gaussian).

In addition to that, there are also several other line broadening mechanism on top of that. For gases, one of the most common ones is doppler broadening, which is an inhomogeneous effect (different for each atom) and looks like a broadening only when you observe an entire ensemble. This broadening does have a gaussian shape.

Likes 1 person

What is emission and absorption?

Emission and absorption are two processes related to the transfer of energy in a system. Emission is the release of energy in the form of radiation, while absorption is the absorption of energy by a material.

How are emission and absorption related?

Emission and absorption are two sides of the same process. When energy is emitted, it is absorbed by another material, and vice versa. This is known as the principle of detailed balance.

What factors affect emission and absorption?

The emission and absorption of energy are affected by several factors, including the temperature of the material, the type of material, and the wavelength of the radiation.

What are some real-life applications of emission and absorption?

Emission and absorption have many practical applications, such as in spectroscopy, where they are used to identify the chemical composition of a material. They are also essential in technologies such as lasers and solar panels.

How can we use emission and absorption to better understand our universe?

By studying the emission and absorption of radiation from distant objects in space, scientists can gain valuable information about their composition, temperature, and other properties. This helps us understand the universe and its origins better.