Intuitive meaning of Dot Product

In summary: The dot product of two vectors represents the amount of work that needs to be done to produce a change in the direction of one vector relative to the other.
22990atinesh
I know intuitively that the Cross Product of two vectors ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## represents another vector ##\vec{A \times B}## perpendicular to it. In study of physics we come across this situation a lot. Hence I can visualize some applications of it

Capture.jpg

I know that the dot product of two vectors ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## is scalar quantity and also that it represents angular relationship between ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## .i.e.

• If ##\vec{A}##.##\vec{B} = 0##. Then ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## are perpendicular.
  • If ##\vec{A}##.##\vec{B} > 0## (Positive). Then the angle between ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## are less than ##90^o##.
  • If ##\vec{A}##.##\vec{B} < 0## (Negative). Then the angle between ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## are greater than ##90^o##.

But I won't be able to understand intuitively, What does the dot product represents. What does the magnitude of the dot product of two vectors represents.

Physics news on Phys.org
It represents the component or projection of one vector along the other one, times the magnitude of the other one. This diagram shows it using the projection of A along B: (|A| cos θ)|B|.

200px-Dot_Product.svg.png

You can also do it the other way, using the projection of B along A, and get the same result: (|B| cos θ)|A|.

Last edited:
22990atinesh said:
I know intuitively that the Cross Product of two vectors ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## represents another vector ##\vec{A \times B}## perpendicular to it.
But that's not all. The magnitude of the cross product also has a geometrical interpretation:

720px-Cross_product_parallelogram.svg.png

22990atinesh said:
But I won't be able to understand intuitively, What does the dot product represents. What does the magnitude of the dot product of two vectors represents.
What baffles me, is that you obviously found the wiki page on the cross product (and posted the picture from it), but couldn't find the page on the dot product with the picture jtbell posted.

jtbell said:
It represents the component or projection of one vector along the other one, times the magnitude of the other one. This diagram shows it using the projection of A along B: (|A| cos θ)|B|.

200px-Dot_Product.svg.png

You can also do it the other way, using the projection of B along A, and get the same result: (|B| cos θ)|A|.

A.T. said:
But that's not all. The magnitude of the cross product also has a geometrical interpretation:

What baffles me, is that you obviously found the wiki page on the cross product (and posted the picture from it), but couldn't find the page on the dot product with the picture jtbell posted.

I've read that article. I understand that the multiplication of the projection of ##\vec{a}## onto ##\vec{b}## (|##\vec{a}##|cos θ) with |##\vec{b}##| gives the dot product of vectors ##\vec{a}## and ##\vec{b}##. But my doubt is that, what does this quantity represents. Whats the application of it. :smile:

Have you studied the concept of "work" in physics yet? That's the first application of the dot product that most physics students see.

1. What is the intuitive meaning of dot product?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar (a single number) as a result. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate work, force, and energy.

2. How is dot product different from cross product?

While dot product takes two vectors and produces a scalar, cross product takes two vectors and produces a vector. Dot product measures the similarity or alignment between two vectors, while cross product measures the perpendicularity between two vectors.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of dot product?

The dot product can be interpreted geometrically as the product of the lengths of two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. This means that the dot product is larger when the two vectors are similar or parallel, and smaller when they are perpendicular or opposite.

4. How is dot product used in real-life applications?

Dot product has various applications in real life, such as calculating the work done by a force on an object, determining the angle between two vectors in navigation systems, and finding the projection of one vector onto another in computer graphics.

5. Can dot product be negative?

Yes, dot product can be negative. This happens when the angle between two vectors is greater than 90 degrees, which means they are pointing in opposite directions. In this case, the dot product is negative because the cosine of the angle is negative.