Temperature and Mass Flow effect on Pressure

by samshree
Tags: effect, flow, mass, pressure, temperature
Share this thread:
samshree
May22-14, 12:13 PM
P: 2
Hello,

I am trying to create a theoretical model of pressurizing air in a constant volume tank to a pre-set pressure. We are increasing the pressure using a standard pressure regulator. From the equation PV=nRT I know that an increase in pressure at a constant volume can result from an increase in mass and/or temperature. In our model I believe the main source of pressure increase is due to mass increase, but I have experienced and increase of temperature due to recompression as well. Is there a way to determine how much of the pressure increase is due to mass flow and how much is due to temperature increase? And is there an equation or model I could use to predict how much the temperature of the gas will increase when the pressure increases a certain amount?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
DIY glove-based tutor indicates muscle-memory potential
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment
boneh3ad
May22-14, 12:40 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,503
There are models for this, particularly if you can ensure the tank is adiabatic (no heat transfer in or out of the tank). In that case you can treat the problem as isentropic and use the ideal gas law and the isentropic relations to get what you are after. For example, you know one form of the ideal gas law is ##p = \rho R T## where ##R## is the specific gas constant. For an isentropic process in an ideal gas, you have the following relationships:
$$\dfrac{p_2}{p_1} = \left(\dfrac{\rho_2}{\rho_1}\right)^{\gamma} = \left(\dfrac{T_2}{T_1}\right)^{\gamma/(\gamma-1)}$$
where ##\gamma = c_p/c_v##. That should get you where you need to go.
samshree
May22-14, 02:03 PM
P: 2
Will this still apply to an open system where mass is flowing into the control volume? The temperature and density are changing simultaneously. I have seen these equations before but I thought they were for a closed system

boneh3ad
May24-14, 08:41 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,503
Temperature and Mass Flow effect on Pressure

No it still works.

Register to reply