Deja what? or overlapping life histories.

In summary, a chance encounter between a wife and her childhood school friend sparked a trip down memory lane, leading to the discovery of a teacher's death and a surprising connection to the narrator. This led to a discussion of other unfortunate coincidences in their lives and plans to avoid any future bad coincidences.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Deja what?? or overlapping life histories.

Yesterday, my wife encountered a childhood school friend that she had not seen in some 30 odd years. This caused her, last night, to drag out her old school annuals and start a trip down memory lane.

In her sophomore high school annual she found a Memorial to one of her teachers who had died in a house fire early in the year. The first thing that caught my eye was that the teachers birth year coincided with mine. Then the name JB! I said, " jB?" Then got out my Senior year annual and found pictures of jB, Sure enough, JB = jB.

I was a bit shocked, this is a horrible death for a very nice girl, who had been a high school friend. I had had not heard or thought of her in years, she, for now obvious reasons has never been to a reunion.

BTW, It is not as unlikely as one would initially think, my high school is only 120mi (~200 km) to the south of the school my wife went to, so it is not like we are talking huge distance differences.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's sooooo weird. What a peculiar set of coincidences.

Indeed :bugeye:

Integral said:
BTW, It is not as unlikely as one would initially think, my high school is only 120mi (~200 km) to the south of the school my wife went to, so it is not like we are talking huge distance differences.

Still, surprising at the least.

On a similar note, two people that Tsu worked with just died within about week of each other. One was the girl in Portland, in the news, who was allegedly shot in the head by her husband. The other died in a car accident about a week later.

Speaking of bad coincidences,
October 24 2003, by best mate's girlfriend left him for another guy.
October 24 2004, I found out my girlfriend had cheated on me.
October 20 2005, A friend of mine from work was killed in a car crash.
October 24 2005, a friend of mine's sister had a heart attack and was left brain dead, she died a few days later. In that same week I broke up with my girlfriend, my boss broke up with his wife and had a bit of a breakdown, and left the city, and two of my other friends split up with their girlfriends.

I've already made plans to go camping next October and not tell anyone where I'm going.

Kazza_765 said:
I've already made plans to go camping next October...
:redface: Good choice.
Kazza_765 said:
...and not tell anyone where I'm going
:approve: Even better.

What is Deja Vu and why does it occur?

Deja Vu is a phenomenon where a person feels like they have experienced a current situation before, even though it is actually their first time encountering it. The exact cause of Deja Vu is still unknown, but some theories suggest it may be due to a memory processing error in the brain or a glitch in the brain's perception of time.

Can Deja Vu be a sign of a neurological disorder?

In most cases, Deja Vu is a normal and common experience and is not a sign of a neurological disorder. However, in rare cases, it may be a symptom of a neurological condition such as epilepsy or migraine. If you experience frequent and intense Deja Vu, it is best to consult a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Is it possible to control or induce Deja Vu?

There is no proven way to control or induce Deja Vu. Some people claim that they can trigger Deja Vu by focusing on a specific thought or situation, but there is no scientific evidence to support this. Deja Vu is a spontaneous and unpredictable experience.

Does everyone experience Deja Vu?

Not everyone experiences Deja Vu, but it is estimated that about 60-70% of people have had at least one Deja Vu experience in their lifetime. It is more common in younger individuals and may decrease with age.

Is there a connection between Deja Vu and overlapping life histories?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest a direct connection between Deja Vu and overlapping life histories. However, some people believe that Deja Vu may be a result of past life experiences or parallel universes, but these theories are not supported by scientific research.