Is the Polynomial Limit Theorem Accurate and Comprehensive?

In summary, there is a Polynomial Limit Theorem that can be applied to determine the limit of a polynomial fraction as x approaches infinity. The theorem states that if the highest power in the numerator is less than the highest power in the denominator, the limit is 0. If the highest power in the numerator is greater than the highest power in the denominator, the limit does not exist. And if the highest powers are equal, the limit is equal to the ratio of the coefficients of the highest degree terms. This theorem can be expanded to include cases where the highest powers are not equal, but it is always important to check for non-zero coefficients in the highest degree terms.
Orion1

My Calculus professor has indicated a 'shortcut' in determining polynomial fraction limits, I am inquiring if this identity is correct, and how comprehensive is this 'theory'?

Polynomial Limit Theorem:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{ax^2 - x + 2}{bx^2 - 1} = \frac{a}{b}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Orion1 said:

My Calculus professor has indicated a 'shortcut' in determining polynomial fraction limits, I am inquiring if this identity is correct, and how comprehensive is this 'theory'?
Polynomial Limit Theorem:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{ax^2 - x + 2}{bx^2 - 1} = \frac{a}{b}[/tex]

Just divide through by the highest power, then the limit becomes A/B as x -> oo.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also expand your Polynomial Limit Theorem like this:
Let [itex]m , \ n \in \mathbb{Z ^ +}[/itex]
If m < n:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sum \limits_{i = 0} ^ m a_i x ^ i}{\sum \limits_{k = 0} ^ n b_k x ^ k} = 0 \quad (a_m, b_n \neq 0)[/tex]
If m > n:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sum \limits_{i = 0} ^ m a_i x ^ i}{\sum \limits_{k = 0} ^ n b_k x ^ k} \quad (a_m, b_n \neq 0)[/tex] it does not have a limit.
If m = n:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sum \limits_{i = 0} ^ m a_i x ^ i}{\sum \limits_{k = 0} ^ n b_k x ^ k} = \frac{a_m}{b_n} \quad (a_m, b_n \neq 0)[/tex]

Last edited:

What is a polynomial limit?

A polynomial limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a polynomial function as the input values approach a certain value, usually denoted as x=a. It is used to determine the value that a polynomial function approaches as x gets closer and closer to a specific value.

How is a polynomial limit calculated?

To calculate a polynomial limit, you can use the limit laws and properties to simplify the function algebraically. If the limit is still indeterminate, you can use other methods such as factoring, rationalizing the numerator or denominator, or using L'Hopital's rule to determine the limit.

What are some common types of polynomial limits?

Some common types of polynomial limits include limits at infinity, limits at a specific value, and limits involving rational functions. These types of limits can have different methods for calculating them and can result in different values or behaviors.

Why are polynomial limits important?

Polynomial limits are important in calculus and other areas of mathematics because they help us understand the behavior of polynomial functions. They can also be used to solve real-world problems and make predictions about the behavior of systems or processes.

What are some applications of polynomial limits?

Polynomial limits have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze the behavior of systems, predict future values, and optimize processes. For example, polynomial limits can be used to determine the maximum or minimum value of a function, which is often important in optimization problems.