Metal sphere and electric field

In summary: The charge on the outer surface would be zero since there is no electric field there.The charge on the outer surface would be zero since there is no electric field there.
cherrios
This problem is somewhat similar to the one I had posted yesterday.

There is a metal spehre, radius=x, that it surrounded by a conducting shell (also spherical) that has an inner radius=y and outer radius=Z

1)Find electric field between the outer surface of the metal sphere and the inner radius of the conducting shell.

Would I need to take a Gaussian surface between the outer surface of the metal sphere and inner radius of the conducting shell? And also, how would I find the surface charge density on the inner and outer surfaces of the conducting shell?

Physics news on Phys.org
cherrios said:
This problem is somewhat similar to the one I had posted yesterday.

There is a metal spehre, radius=x, that it surrounded by a conducting shell (also spherical) that has an inner radius=y and outer radius=Z

1)Find electric field between the outer surface of the metal sphere and the inner radius of the conducting shell.

Would I need to take a Gaussian surface between the outer surface of the metal sphere and inner radius of the conducting shell? And also, how would I find the surface charge density on the inner and outer surfaces of the conducting shell?

We need to know where the charge is in the system.

Two tips in general about conductors: The electric field inside a conductor is zero. There are no charges inside of a conductor, they all migrate to the surfaces.

-Dan

Sorry, the total charge is 4 micro Coloumbs--> 1 micro Coloumb on the inner sphere, and the rest is distributed in the shell

cherrios said:
Sorry, the total charge is 4 micro Coloumbs--> 1 micro Coloumb on the inner sphere, and the rest is distributed in the shell

Okay, so inside the conductor, what is the electric field? (Zero by definition!) What does Gauss' Law tell you about the amount of charge inside your Gaussian surface? Since the conductor was initially neutral (I'm assuming) what does that mean for the outer surface of the conductor?

-Dan

I think that the outer surface would probably have no charge then?

cherrios said:
I think that the outer surface would probably have no charge then?

Okay, the metal sphere has a charge of 4 microCoulomb on it (positive I'm assuming). So, you want the charge on the surfaces of the spherical conductor surrounding it.

Consider a Gaussian surface inside your conductor. Since the electric field inside a conductor is zero, Gauss' Law predicts that the total charge inside the Gaussian surface is zero. But we know that +4 microCoulomb are on the metal sphere, so the only way this can happen is if -4 microCoulomb is in the conductor volume of your Gaussian surface. But free charges don't stay inside conductors...they flow to the surfaces. So you now know that there is -4 microCoulomb of charge on the inside surface of the conductor. This charge will be spread evenly over the surface area.

So if your initially neutral conductor has -4 microCoulomb on its inner surface, what is the charge on the outer surface?

-Dan

1. What is a metal sphere and how does it relate to electric fields?

A metal sphere is a type of conductor that can hold a charge and interact with electric fields. When a charged metal sphere is placed in an electric field, it will experience a force due to the electric field. This is known as electrostatic induction.

2. How does the shape and size of a metal sphere affect its interaction with electric fields?

The shape and size of a metal sphere can affect its interaction with electric fields. A larger metal sphere will have a greater surface area and therefore be able to hold a larger charge. The shape of the sphere also affects where the charge will accumulate on its surface, which can impact its interaction with electric fields.

3. What happens to a metal sphere when it is placed in an electric field?

When a metal sphere is placed in an electric field, it will experience a force due to the electric field. If the metal sphere is uncharged, it will become polarized as the positive and negative charges within the sphere separate. If the metal sphere is already charged, it will either be attracted or repelled by the electric field, depending on the direction of the field and the charge of the sphere.

4. Can a metal sphere hold a charge indefinitely?

No, a metal sphere cannot hold a charge indefinitely. Over time, charges will dissipate from the surface of the sphere due to factors such as air resistance or leakage. However, the time it takes for a metal sphere to lose its charge can be extended by using materials with low electrical conductivity for the sphere.

5. How is the strength of an electric field measured around a metal sphere?

The strength of an electric field around a metal sphere can be measured using a device called an electric field sensor. This device measures the electric field strength at various distances from the sphere's surface and can give a quantitative measurement of the field's strength. The strength of the electric field is typically strongest at the surface of the sphere and decreases as the distance from the sphere increases.