What are the main differences between AC and DC power?

• Thread starter alanveron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Dc
In summary, there is only one fundamental difference between AC and DC - the constant polarity of DC compared to the changing polarity of AC. There are numerous ways to produce both types of current, but listing them all would be pointless. When comparing the advantages and disadvantages of AC and DC, it is best to do your own research rather than seeking answers to homework questions. You can easily find information on synchronous motors by searching on Google or Wikipedia.
alanveron
total there are how many differences between ac and dc??and ways to produce them

Physics news on Phys.org
There's only one fundamental difference: direct current has constant polarity, while alternating current doesn't.

There are many, many different ways to "produce" either kind of current. Trying to provide an exhaustive list would be rather pointless.

- Warren

thanks chroot admin,what's the advantages and disadvantages between these two?

Sounds like you're looking for answers to a homework question. We're not going to do your homework for you. Maybe you should try to do your own research? You'd learn more in the process.

- Warren

i think one is more efficient and you can change voltage easier but i can have a look if i can find it in my book... later
how do you open one question thing
caus i need to find out about synchronous motor and i can't find anything in the net...

blubb said:
caus i need to find out about synchronous motor and i can't find anything in the net...
Just go to google.com and type synchronous motor into the search box and hit Enter. You'll get lots of useful hits. If you are looking for some particular information within the overall subject of synchronous motors, just add those keywords into your search.

tried it already and also wikipedia. But they are not explaining how it actually works! but thanks anyway!

What is the difference between AC and DC?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are two types of electrical current. AC changes direction periodically, while DC flows in one direction continuously.

Which type of current is used in household appliances?

Most household appliances and electronics use AC since it is more efficient for long-distance power transmission. However, some devices, such as batteries, use DC.

What are the advantages of AC over DC?

AC can be easily transformed into different voltage levels, making it suitable for long-distance power transmission. It is also safer to use since it can be easily interrupted by a switch. Additionally, AC can power multiple devices simultaneously.

What are the applications of DC?

DC is commonly used in batteries, electronic devices, and some industrial applications such as welding. It is also used in renewable energy systems, such as solar panels and wind turbines.

Can AC and DC be converted into each other?

Yes, AC can be converted into DC using a rectifier, which uses diodes to convert the alternating current into direct current. DC can also be converted into AC using an inverter, which switches the direction of current periodically.