Angular momentum to linear velocity

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a block-rod-bullet system rotating about a fixed axis. The rotational inertia of the system is discussed, as well as the bullet's speed just before impact. The conversation also touches on the concepts of conservation of momentum and the incorrect use of the equation MV=Iw. One person eventually figures out their mistake with the help of others.
chiefjslay
Im stuck on this problem and I've gotten to the point where I am just staring at my computer, so I figured Id give you guys a go at it.

I got Part A which was fairly simple. But I've tried everything but can't seem to get Part B. I must be missing something. This is one of those online assignments where you get as many attempts as you want. I keep getting Part A, but can't get Part B. Please explain how you did Part B if you get it. I have the correct answers too.

In Fig. 11-52, a 7.3 g bullet is fired into a 0.46 kg block attached to the end of a 0.12 m nonuniform rod of mass 0.88 kg. The block-rod-bullet system then rotates in the plane of the figure, about a fixed axis at A. The rotational inertia of the rod alone about A is 0.038 kg·m2. Treat the block as a particle. (a) What then is the rotational inertia of the block-rod-bullet system about point A? (b) If the angular speed of the system about A just after impact is 7.2 rad/s, what is the bullet's speed just before impact?

Fig11_52.gif

Attachments

• Fig11_52.gif
    Fig11_52.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 534
Physics news on Phys.org
anybody have any hints? I know about conservation of momentum. And I know MV=Iw. I am pretty sure I need to convert units of w to m/s but I don't think I am doing it right.

Remember the angular momentum of a point mass about an axis is simply the linear momentum times the distance from the axis, i.e. p*r = mvr.

The block and the bullet are point masses. Can you proceed ?

Nevermind I figured it out. It was a stupid error on my part. I simply had to divide the rad/s by the radius to get the correct units.

Thanks for helping though, Curious

chiefjslay said:
anybody have any hints? I know about conservation of momentum. And I know MV=Iw. I am pretty sure I need to convert units of w to m/s but I don't think I am doing it right.

Have a care. You may be able to get the right answer by converting units, but the equation MV=Iw is incorrect as it stands. You cannot equate linear and angular momentum. They have different units. What you have done in "converting units" is change your equation (to the correct one, if I am guessing correctly.) Make sure you know what this equation is and how to use it!

-Dan

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is a vector quantity that takes into account an object's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is angular momentum related to linear velocity?

Angular momentum and linear velocity are related through the equation L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. This means that as an object's angular velocity increases, its angular momentum also increases.

3. How does changing the mass of an object affect its angular momentum?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its angular momentum. However, if the mass is distributed differently, the moment of inertia will change, and therefore the angular momentum will also change.

4. Can angular momentum be conserved?

Yes, angular momentum can be conserved in a closed system where no external torques act on the objects. This means that the total angular momentum of the system will remain constant.

5. How is angular momentum used in real-world applications?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in many real-world applications, such as in the motion of planets and satellites, the spinning of tops and gyroscopes, and the rotation of wheels and gears. It is also used in sports, such as figure skating and diving, to control and enhance rotational motion.