BJT base recombination current

In summary, the base recombination current, also known as the base-emitter depletion layer recombination current, is a component of the overall base current in a P-N junction transistor. It is caused by the recombination of electrons and holes in the base region, and can be calculated using equation 5.2.13, which includes terms for hole diffusion current, base recombination, and recombination in the depletion region. This current is often ignored in simplified models, but can be included for more accurate calculations.
antonantal
I thought that the base recombination current (say in a pnp bjt) was the current caused by the electrons that come up the base wire to compensate the loss of free electrons from the recombination process in the base. But recently I read that this are actually two different currents that sum up in the formula of the base total current.
So what is the base recombination current?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The first models of the P-N junction are developed with some assumptions which include:
1. No electron-hole recombination occurs in the depletion region.
2. The electric field in the neutral regions is negligible.

A slightly more complicated model, which better fits the experimental data, does not make assumption 1. The new term which results is called the base-emitter depletion layer recombination current.

This link, specifically equation 5.2.13, shows the two currents
http://ece-www.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/chapter5/ch5_2.htm

Thank you es. I still am not sure what the base recombination current is (meaning the second term in the right-hand side of the equation 5.2.13). Is it the current caused by the electrons that come up the base wire to compensate the loss of free electrons from the recombination process in the base?

Recombination current in general is defined as current that occurs
when an electron and a hole with a small amount of kinetic energy meet and, as you mentioned, these electrons contribute to the overall
current flow.

However, it is important to remember that electrons and holes are everywhere inside the transistor. There is, of course, a bunch of holes in the p-type base region, but there are also some in the depleation region as well. However there are so few that one can get reasonable accuracy out of their model even if they ignore it. If you want better accuracy out of the model then you don't get to ignore it anymore.

So for this model, equation 5.2.13 defines the base current as:
I_b = I_e,p + I_r,b + I_r,d
Where
I_e,p : The hole diffusion current
I_r,b : The base recombination (the mechanism you describe but occurring only in the base)
I_r,d : Recombination current in the depletion region (same mechanism different spot of the transistor but the electrons ultimately come from the same place)

1. What is BJT base recombination current?

BJT base recombination current is the flow of charge carriers (electrons or holes) from the base region to the emitter region in a bipolar junction transistor (BJT). It is caused by the recombination of minority carriers (electrons in p-type material or holes in n-type material) with majority carriers in the base region.

2. How does BJT base recombination current affect transistor performance?

BJT base recombination current can cause a decrease in the BJT's current gain, as it reduces the amount of carriers available for amplification. This can also lead to a decrease in the BJT's switching speed and increase in its saturation voltage.

3. What factors affect BJT base recombination current?

The main factors that affect BJT base recombination current are the doping levels and dimensions of the base region, the operating temperature, and the biasing conditions of the transistor. Higher doping levels and larger base dimensions can decrease recombination current, while higher temperatures and higher bias voltages can increase it.

4. How is BJT base recombination current measured?

BJT base recombination current can be measured by applying a small reverse bias voltage to the base-emitter junction and measuring the resulting current. This current, known as reverse saturation current, is directly proportional to the base recombination current.

5. Can BJT base recombination current be reduced?

Yes, BJT base recombination current can be reduced by using techniques such as reducing the base width, increasing the doping level in the base region, and lowering the operating temperature. Additionally, using a transistor with a smaller base area and optimizing the biasing conditions can also help reduce the recombination current.