Convert 65mph to ft/s and km/h

• Thread starter emma123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary: So it should be 29 m/s or 28.9 m/s for both.In summary, the conversation is about converting 65 mph into feet per second (ft/s) and kilometers per hour (km/h). The person asking for help is given the conversion rates of 1 mile per hour to 88 feet per second and 80 kilometers per hour. They are also given the formula for converting miles per hour to feet per second and are reminded to consider significant figures in their calculations.
emma123
i need some help on a problem... does anyone know how to convert 65mph into ft/s and km/h? i would appreciate it THANKS! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
I find it convenient to know that 60 mph=88 f/s,
and 50 mph=80 km/h.

emma123 said:
i need some help on a problem... does anyone know how to convert 65mph into ft/s and km/h? i would appreciate it THANKS! =)
First you need to know how many feet are in a mile.
I looked up that a foot is 1/3 of a yard and a mile is 1760 yards, so there are 3*1760=5280 feet in a mile (God, I hate these units)

Then you can just write:
1 [mile/hour] = 1 [5280 ft/3600 seconds]=5280/3600 ft/s=22/15 ft/s.

EDIT: There are 3600s in an hour. duh.

Last edited:
when i convert 65 mph into ft/s is it 95.33 ft/s and and when converting 65mph into km/h is it 104.60736 km/h?

emma123 said:
when i convert 65 mph into ft/s is it 95.33 ft/s and and when converting 65mph into km/h is it 104.60736 km/h?

is this correct?

emma123 said:
You should learn about significant figures.

1) How do I convert 65 miles per hour to feet per second?

To convert from miles per hour to feet per second, you can use the conversion factor of 1 mile = 5280 feet and 1 hour = 3600 seconds. Therefore, 65 miles per hour is equal to (65 miles / 1 hour) * (5280 feet / 1 mile) * (1 hour / 3600 seconds) = 95.33 feet per second.

2) Can you walk me through the steps of converting 65 miles per hour to kilometers per hour?

To convert from miles per hour to kilometers per hour, you can use the conversion factor of 1 mile = 1.60934 kilometers. Therefore, 65 miles per hour is equal to (65 miles / 1 hour) * (1.60934 kilometers / 1 mile) = 104.61 kilometers per hour.

3) Why is it important to know the conversion between miles per hour and feet per second?

Knowing the conversion between miles per hour and feet per second can be useful in various situations, such as calculating the speed of a moving object or converting units in a physics problem. It can also help you understand the relationship between different units of measurement.

4) Is there a faster way to convert between miles per hour, feet per second, and kilometers per hour?

Yes, you can use online unit converters or smartphone apps to quickly convert between different units of measurement, including miles per hour, feet per second, and kilometers per hour. These tools can save you time and effort compared to manually calculating the conversions.

5) How accurate are the conversions between miles per hour, feet per second, and kilometers per hour?

The conversions between these units of measurement are accurate, as they are based on standardized conversion factors. However, it's important to note that there may be slight variations due to rounding off numbers or using different conversion factors in certain contexts.