Audio won't play on my computer

In summary: You might also try uninstalling and reinstalling the sound driver. In summary, the computer is freezing whenever I try to do anything with it and the audio drivers are not installed correctly. I think I may just get a new computer.
wasteofo2
Just tried to play a song on winamp, the timer went to 1 second and the eq thing started going up and down like it was getting a signal, but at 1 second it stopped and I couldn't get it to play at all. I tried playing random songs in winamp, windows media player and real player, none of them would play. I played some video files and the visual part worked fine and prgressed normally, but there was no audio. My speakers are working fine, just songs refuse to even begin playing. Can anyone offer any help?

Computer science news on Phys.org
This is all streaming audio and video?

What audio does work...you said your speakers work?

What is your operating system?

It's not streaming audio or video, it's all audio and video which is on my hard drive. I can tell my speakers work because when i turn them up all the way I get that annoying background hum. Whenever i play audio the timer just goes for one second on winamp and doesn't even start on realplayer and windows media player.

MPEG and AVI videos work fine but have no audio, and WMV videos only play for about 2 seconds and then stop without having any audio.

I had this problem once and I think the solution was in a hardware accelerator setting.

I would check the control panel, audio devices, hardware, audio properties and check that the device is shown to be working correctly. I would then try fiddling with the accerator options and see if that helps. In the mean time I will try to remember exactly what happened to me.

You might check for driver updates and conflicts at MS FAQ's and SEARCH, check your computer's manufacturer, and the device driver manufacturer's web sites.

I think you're fighting a setting though...this sounds all too familiar

Just for kicks why don't you try opening WMP, go to tools, options, performance, and turn the video acceleration to one half.

This is fun, I tried the thing with WMP and it starts freezing whenever I try to do anything with it. I think I may just get a new computer, this one has been having problems ever since I got it regardless of the maintenance I ran on it. Plus my current computer has 128mb of some weird type of RAM and is running ME.

Originally posted by wasteofo2
is running ME.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking

ME is the buggiest and the cheaper version of Win2k + win98.

that's what I said.

And now, my computer decides to play audio.

Screw it, I'm still getting a new one.

Damned computer, cost over $1000 less than 3 years ago.

Don't mean to sound condescending, but have you tried other outlets in the back of your computer? Maybe you've got the speakers plugged into the wrong one.

Also, double click the speaker icon next to your clock, make sure you have a "master" and a "wave" and they are not muted and turn their volumes up.

Also, look in control panel->system->device manager and make sure your sound card is in there and says its ok.

1. Why is there no sound coming from my computer?

There could be several reasons for this. First, check if your speakers or headphones are properly connected. Also, make sure your volume is turned up and not muted. If those things are not the issue, the problem could be with your audio driver or the audio settings on your computer.

2. How do I fix audio playback issues on my computer?

Start by checking if your audio driver is up to date. If not, update it. You can also try restarting your computer or checking the audio settings to ensure they are correct. If the problem persists, you may need to uninstall and reinstall the audio driver or seek professional help.

3. Why is my audio only playing on one side or speaker?

This could be due to a hardware issue, such as a loose connection or a faulty speaker. You can try troubleshooting by checking your speaker connections and making sure they are secure. If that doesn't work, try using different speakers or headphones to see if the issue is with your audio device.

4. How do I troubleshoot audio playback issues on a specific program or website?

If you are only experiencing audio issues on a certain program or website, try closing and reopening the program or refreshing the website. If the problem persists, check the audio settings within the program or on the website, as they may be muted or set to a low volume. You can also try clearing your browser cache or updating the program.

5. What should I do if none of the troubleshooting steps work?

If you have tried all the above steps and are still unable to get audio to play on your computer, it could be a more serious hardware or software issue. In this case, it may be best to seek professional help or bring your computer to a technician for further diagnosis and repair.