What is the formula for finding the slope of a line?

• Thread starter Dgolverk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, To find the equations of the medians of a triangle, you need to find the midpoint of each side and then use the formula y=mx+b, where m is the slope of the median and b is the y-intercept. To find the equation of the perpendicular bisector of a chord of a circle, you need to find the midpoint of the chord and then use the formula y=mx+b, where m is the negative reciprocal of the slope of the chord and b is the y-intercept.
Dgolverk
Hello,
I can't understand 2 questions from my math homework can you please explain how I am supposed to do that?

1. Find the equations of the medians of the triangle with vertex coordinates at J(2,-2) K(4,-1) and L(-2,-5).

2. Find the equation of the perpendicular bisector of a chord of a circle, given that the end points of the chord are C(-2,0) and D(4,-4).

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try drawing a diagram (with axes on it already).

It's supposed to be an equation - y=mx+b
Thanks

Dgolverk said:
Hello,
I can't understand 2 questions from my math homework can you please explain how I am supposed to do that?

1. Find the equations of the medians of the triangle with vertex coordinates at J(2,-2) K(4,-1) and L(-2,-5).
What is the definition of vertex?
(If (a,b) and (c,d) are the endpoints of a line segment, the midpoint is at
((a+c)/2, (b+d)/2).)

2. Find the equation of the perpendicular bisector of a chord of a circle, given that the end points of the chord are C(-2,0) and D(4,-4).
perpendicular bisector of any line segment passes through the midpoint.
Also, it slope is -1/m where m is the slope of the first line segment.

1. What is the equation of a line?

The equation of a line is a mathematical representation of a straight line on a graph. It is written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do I find the equation of a line?

To find the equation of a line, you need to know two points on the line. Then you can use the formula (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1) = m to calculate the slope, and substitute the slope and one of the points into the equation y = mx + b to solve for b.

3. Can I find the equation of a line using just one point?

No, you need at least two points to find the equation of a line. This is because the slope of a line is the change in y-values over the change in x-values (m = Δy / Δx). With only one point, you cannot determine the slope.

4. What is the significance of the slope in the equation of a line?

The slope of a line represents the rate of change between two variables. For example, in a distance vs. time graph, the slope would represent the speed of an object. In a temperature vs. time graph, the slope would represent the rate of change in temperature.

5. Can the equation of a line have a negative slope?

Yes, the slope of a line can be positive, negative, or zero. A positive slope indicates that the line is increasing from left to right, while a negative slope indicates that the line is decreasing. A zero slope indicates a horizontal line.