Understanding Hermitian Operators and Their Properties on Complex Functions

In summary, the Hermitian condition for a self-adjoint operator on functions f : [a,b] \rightarrow \mathbb{C} is that <u|v> = <\mathcal{L}u|v>.
Logarythmic
Let

[tex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{d}{dx} p(x) \frac{d}{dx} + q(x)[/tex]

be a self-adjoint operator on functions [tex]f : [a,b] \rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/tex]. Under what circumstances is the operator Hermitian with

[tex]<u|v> = \int_a^b u^*(x) v(x) dx[/tex]
?

Can someone give me a hint on this one? I know that hermitian operators satisfies

[tex]<u|\mathcal{L}v> = <\mathcal{L}u|v>[/tex]

but I don't really get the question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Logarythmic said:
Let

[tex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{d}{dx} p(x) \frac{d}{dx} + q(x)[/tex]

be a self-adjoint operator on functions [tex]f : [a,b] \rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/tex]. Under what circumstances is the operator Hermitian with

[tex]<u|v> = \int_a^b u^*(x) v(x) dx[/tex]
?

Can someone give me a hint on this one? I know that hermitian operators satisfies

[tex]<u|\mathcal{L}v> = <\mathcal{L}u|v>[/tex]

but I don't really get the question.
My guess is it is something very close to what is done here.

http://www.math.sdu.edu.cn/mathency/math/h/h215.htm

What does [tex]f : [a,b] \rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/tex] mean? Is this a completeness condition?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a completeness condition, just specifying the domain (from a to b) and the range (complex numbers)...

But as for the question, since you know the Hermitian condition, plug in your actual operator L and then simplify both sides, possibly integrating by parts to shift derivatives around. Then, when you have the two sides looking somewhat similar, you should be able to come up with conditions under which the two sides are equal.

(Yeah, I know that's kind of vague, but it should get you started...)

TMFKAN64 said:
Not a completeness condition, just specifying the domain (from a to b) and the range (complex numbers)...
Thanks. I always was weak on those funny letter math symbols :rolleyes:

1. What is a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is a type of linear operator in quantum mechanics that represents a measurable physical quantity, such as energy or momentum. It is defined as an operator that is equal to its own adjoint, meaning that it is equal to the complex conjugate of its transpose.

2. How do you determine if an operator is Hermitian?

In order to determine if an operator is Hermitian, you must check if it is equal to its own adjoint. This can be done by taking the transpose of the operator and then finding its complex conjugate. If the resulting operator is equal to the original operator, then it is Hermitian.

3. What are the properties of a Hermitian operator?

Some of the key properties of a Hermitian operator include: it has real eigenvalues, its eigenvectors form a complete basis, and it is self-adjoint. Additionally, all observables in quantum mechanics are represented by Hermitian operators.

4. How are Hermitian operators used in quantum mechanics?

Hermitian operators are used in quantum mechanics to represent observable physical quantities and to make predictions about the behavior of a quantum system. They are an essential tool for calculating the energy levels and probabilities of different outcomes in a quantum system.

5. Can non-Hermitian operators be used in quantum mechanics?

Yes, non-Hermitian operators can be used in quantum mechanics, but they do not represent observable physical quantities. They can be used to describe complex systems or to simplify calculations, but the results must be checked against a corresponding Hermitian operator to ensure their accuracy.