Double replacement reaction question

• Thread starter Elites Renee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, a double replacement reaction is a type of chemical reaction where two compounds react to form two new compounds through the exchange of positive ions. It can be identified by the general form AB + CD → AD + CB, and examples include reactions between sodium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid, and silver nitrate and sodium chloride. A double replacement reaction differs from a single replacement reaction in that it involves the exchange of ions between two compounds, rather than just one. Factors such as concentration, temperature, and the presence of a catalyst can affect the rate of a double replacement reaction.
Elites Renee
Can someone help me with the problem:

Sr(No3)2 + KIO3

If possible show your steps on how you got there? I'm lost but I'm not just looking for answers. :confused: thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the rules for the double replacement reactions? http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/Equations/DoubleReplacement.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Sure, I can help you with this double replacement reaction problem. First, we need to determine the products of this reaction by looking at the reactants and their charges.

Sr(No3)2 is strontium nitrate, which has a charge of +2 for strontium ion (Sr2+) and a charge of -1 for nitrate ion (NO3-). KIO3 is potassium iodate, which has a charge of +1 for potassium ion (K+) and a charge of -1 for iodate ion (IO3-).

To determine the products, we need to switch the partners of the ions. This means that the strontium ion will combine with the iodate ion, and the potassium ion will combine with the nitrate ion. This gives us:

Sr2+ + IO3- --> Sr(IO3)2 (strontium iodate)
K+ + NO3- --> KNO3 (potassium nitrate)

Therefore, the overall reaction is:

Sr(No3)2 + KIO3 --> Sr(IO3)2 + KNO3

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is a double replacement reaction?

A double replacement reaction is a type of chemical reaction where two compounds react to form two new compounds. This reaction involves the exchange of positive ions between the reactants, resulting in the formation of a precipitate or a gas.

2. How do you identify a double replacement reaction?

A double replacement reaction can be identified by the general form: AB + CD → AD + CB. This means that two compounds (AB and CD) switch their positive ions to form two new compounds (AD and CB).

3. What are some examples of double replacement reactions?

Examples of double replacement reactions include the reaction between sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and hydrochloric acid (HCl) to form sodium chloride (NaCl) and water (H2O), and the reaction between silver nitrate (AgNO3) and sodium chloride (NaCl) to form silver chloride (AgCl) and sodium nitrate (NaNO3).

4. How is a double replacement reaction different from a single replacement reaction?

In a single replacement reaction, only one compound is replaced by another, while in a double replacement reaction, two compounds exchange their ions to form two new compounds. Additionally, a single replacement reaction involves the transfer of an electron, while a double replacement reaction does not.

5. What factors affect the rate of a double replacement reaction?

The rate of a double replacement reaction can be affected by factors such as concentration of reactants, temperature, and the presence of a catalyst. Increasing the concentration of reactants or raising the temperature can speed up the reaction, while the presence of a catalyst can lower the activation energy and increase the rate of reaction.