A question about fluid pressure

In summary, the Mariana Trench is the deepest point in the ocean at 11 km deep with a pressure of 1.13*10^8 Pa. To find the change in volume of 1.00 m^3 of water from the surface to the bottom of the Pacific, the bulk modulus of water (0.21*10^10 Pa) is used in the equation delta(P)=-B*[delta(V)/V]. The resulting change in volume is -5.4*10^-2 m^3. To find the density of water at the bottom, a proportion is set between the volumes and densities at the surface and at the bottom. However, the compressibility of water must also be taken into account
rkrk

Homework Statement

The deepest point in the ocean is in the Mariana Trench about 11 km deep. The pressure at the ocean floor is huge, about 1.13*10^8 Pa.
a) calculate the change in volume of 1.00 m^3 of water carried from the surface to the bottom of the Pacific.
b) The density of water at the surface is 1.03*10^3 km/m^3. Find its density at the bottom.

Homework Equations

I am not really sure how you could approach this problem, as the answers are supposed to be:
a) -5.4*10^-2 m^3
b)1.09*10^3 kg/m^3

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried to use the equation: P= P(atmospheric) + (density)(g)(h) to find the density at the bottom of the ocean. then I figured I could set a proportion between the volumes and densities at the surface and at the bottom to find the volume at the bottom. But the density I get for the bottom is not 1.09*10^3, the actual right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that you must have some relevant relation for the compressibility of the water. That is the only thing that will make the water denser at depth. We normally think of water as incompressible, but it sounds like at high enough pressures, a small amount of compression does occur. So where would you look to find the compressibility of water?

BTW, there are some typos in what you typed above in the units. Like in your statement for (b) where you say a density has units of km/m^3.

Thanks

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I found out the compressibility of water (the bulk modulus) which was 0.21 *10 ^10 Pa. Using the equation delta(P)=-B*[delta(V)/V], where B was the bulk modulus and rearranging for delta(V) I got the right answer.

1. What is fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is the force per unit area that a fluid exerts on its surroundings. It is caused by the constant random motion of molecules within the fluid, and it is affected by factors such as the density and depth of the fluid.

2. How is fluid pressure calculated?

Fluid pressure is calculated using the equation P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is the force exerted by the fluid, and A is the area over which the force is applied. This means that increasing the force or decreasing the area will result in a higher fluid pressure.

3. What is the difference between absolute and gauge pressure?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure exerted by a fluid, including atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure, on the other hand, only measures the pressure above atmospheric pressure. This means that gauge pressure can be negative if the fluid pressure is below atmospheric pressure.

4. How does the depth of a fluid affect its pressure?

The deeper a fluid is, the greater the pressure it exerts. This is because the weight of the fluid above increases with depth, resulting in a greater force and therefore a higher pressure. This relationship is known as Pascal's law.

5. What are some real-world applications of fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is crucial in many scientific and engineering fields, such as hydraulics, aerodynamics, and hydrology. It is also important in everyday life, as seen in the functioning of water pumps, hydraulic brakes, and pressure cookers.