Lithium and Lithium hydride

• Thread starter dom626
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lithium
In summary, the PhD student is looking for data on the decomposition of LiH in air and other inert/oxidizing media. He suggests looking into the NIST databases or contacting the authors. The problem under investigation is the combustion of a solid grain of LiH in a vented container. He thinks that LiH first liquifies and after, dragged by the turbulent stream decomposes giving Li and H2. Thus Li reacts with air, yielding Li2O. The PhD student needs to find a reduced set of reaction system to include into CFD simulations.
dom626
Hi, I'm an italian PhD student (sorry for my english). I'm searching for data on Lithium and Lithium Hydride. In particular:
1) Data concerning LiH decomposition rate @ 1-10 atm and from 1200 K to 2500 K (that is: characteristic time of the decomposition in this range of pressure and temperature: is it < of 10E-5 s? I hope less than...)

2) chemical kinetics (not thermodyn.) data (in Arrhenius form) concerning liquid and gaseous Lithium combustion with air (or oxygen) in the same range of pressure and temperature 1200K-2550K)
Where I can find these data? I have searched into the NIST databases but...nothing!
Can you help me? Thank you for your help and attention!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
dom626 said:
Hi, I'm an italian PhD student (sorry for my english). I'm searching for data on Lithium and Lithium Hydride. In particular:
1) Data concerning LiH decomposition rate @ 1-10 atm and from 1200 K to 2500 K (that is: characteristic time of the decomposition in this range of pressure and temperature: is it < of 10E-5 s? I hope less than...)
What is the medium you are interested in?

For oxidation of LiH in air and other inert/oxidizing media, see (pp 25,25,26) http://www.hydrogen.energy.gov/pdfs/review06/stp_2_shaw.pdf

Also, I'd look for more in J. Electrochem. Soc.

Tank you Astronuc and Gukul for your suggestions. Really and more precisely the problem under investigation is the combustion in a hot ( more than 1200 K) air stream of a solid grain of LiH in a vented container.My opinion is that LiH first liquifies and after, dragged by the turbulent stream decomposes giving Li and H2. Thus Li reacts with air oxygeh yelding (into this temperature range) Li2O. Now my problem, to make CFD simulations, is: how much rapid is the decomposition? Increasing temperature I think that LiH decomposes before to react with oxygen and only Liquid lithium reacts. To asses this "hypothesys" I need also data about the rate of Li2O production increasing T between 1200 K and about 3000 K but I can't find. Isearching data hoping that the LiH decomposition rate and the Li2O production rate to have characteristic times less than 10-5 seconds...
My last task is to define a reduced set of reaction system to incluse into the CFD software...can you suggest me something more?
Thanks again!

Ah, that better defines the problem.

Maybe this paper would be of use - Structure and kinetics of formation and decomposition of corrosion layers formed on lithium compounds exposed to atmospheric gases

Calculation of the thermodynamic characteristics of the systems Li-LiH, Li-LiD, and Li-LiT

From looking at the phase diagram, I think bubbling H2 gas through liquid lithium at 200oC should produce particles of LiH. The question is what material is inert to liquid lithium. I suggest looking up previous studies, e.g., C. E. Messer at al., J. Chem. Eng. Data, vol . 6, 328-330 (1962), or
R. Weil & A. W. Lawson, J. Chem. Phys., vol. 37, p. 2730-2731 (1962) [reported a high-pressure phase transformation in LiH]
or
“Melting of lithium hydride under pressure”,
T. Ogitsu, E. Schwegler, F. Gygi and G. Galli,
Phys. Rev. Lett. vol. 91, 175502(page no.?) (2003).
from eng-tips

http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/abstract.cgi/jpchax/1974/78/i19/f-pdf/f_j100612a013.pdf?sessid=5903#search=%22Li-H%20phase%20diagram%22

Can you find a LiH phase diagram?

Also, one can find limited data for LiH online, e.g.
Decomposes below boiling point at 850°C
Melting point: 680°C
Relative density (water = 1): 0.76-0.77
Solubility in water: reaction

One might find relevant articles in Journal of Physical Chemistry or Journal of Chemical Physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank yuo Astronuc, and sorry for my late answer (out of my office for a congress...). I will try to follow your suggestions!

What is lithium?

Lithium is a chemical element with the symbol Li and atomic number 3. It is a soft, silver-white metal that is highly reactive and flammable. It is the lightest metal and the least dense solid element on Earth.

What is lithium hydride?

Lithium hydride (LiH) is an inorganic compound that consists of a lithium cation and a hydride anion. It is a white solid that is highly reactive and is used as a source of hydrogen gas in fuel cells.

What are the uses of lithium?

Lithium is used in a variety of industries, including the production of batteries, ceramics, glass, and lubricants. It is also used in psychiatric medication as a mood stabilizer.

What are the properties of lithium?

Lithium is a soft, silvery-white metal that is highly reactive and can easily react with water or air. It has a low density, high specific heat, and high electrochemical potential, making it useful for battery production.

Is lithium toxic?

Yes, lithium can be toxic in high doses. It is important to handle lithium with care and to follow safety precautions when working with it. In small doses, however, lithium is safe and is even used as a medication for certain mental health conditions.