Resultant Couple and direction angle

In summary, the Homework Equations state that there is a resultant couple C that points in the direction of the arrow with a magnitude of 150lbs and an angle of 45 degrees.
Bradracer18

Homework Statement

Ok, I have 3 couples applied to a bent bar. The axis is with the z going up, y left and right, and the x basically out of the page(or kinda to the left a bit).

The pipe goes 28in to the right(on y axis), where the pic show a 100lb force pointing down from the +z direction, and a 125lb force keeps going along the y axis. The pipe then bends and runs parallel with the +x axis, and goes for 16in. A 150lb force from the +x direction points back into the pipe, and a 125lb force points at the pipe from the +y direction. This is also where point A is. The pipe then bends downward(-z) for 9in. At the end of the pipe, a 100lb force is applied towards the +z. A 150lb force is also applied at the end, in the +x direction.

Determine, the magnitude of the resultant couple C and the direction angles associated with the resultant couple vector. Then also determine the scalar component of the resultant couple C about line O(orgin)A.

I think I drew this out right...you just have to draw as you read. Should go towards +y, then towards +x, then -z.

Homework Equations

I think I add the x,y,z components of the couple(C). Then I think I square each of them, add them together, all under a square root.

For the angles, I think I just take the cos-1 of each component/mag of C.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to find the components. I think I understand how to break them down(simple), but I don't really get how to relate the distance in there. If someone could do one that would be helpful(or explain it). I'm not sure where to take the total distance from I guess either.

Thank,
Brad

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this problem understandable?? Or do I need to draw a pic? I didn't draw one on paint, because usually they are too small/blury to see.

can anyone help...this is due today. I think I can get it, if I can get some help on how to find the individual components...I'm not sure how to relate the forces, and the distances.

Figured it out...thanks for all, that attempted to solve it(I know, it was complicated to read). I even had 2 hrs to go...haha...Thanks again!

1. What is a resultant couple?

A resultant couple is a pair of forces with equal magnitude, but opposite direction, acting on a body, causing it to rotate.

2. How is the resultant couple calculated?

The resultant couple is calculated by taking the product of the magnitude of one of the forces and the perpendicular distance between the two forces.

3. What is the direction angle of a resultant couple?

The direction angle of a resultant couple is the angle between the line of action of one of the forces and the perpendicular distance between the two forces.

4. How does the direction angle affect the magnitude of the resultant couple?

The magnitude of the resultant couple is directly proportional to the direction angle. A larger direction angle will result in a larger magnitude of the resultant couple, and vice versa.

5. What is the importance of understanding resultant couples and direction angle in physics?

Understanding resultant couples and direction angle is crucial in analyzing the rotational motion of objects and systems. It is also essential in designing structures and machines that can withstand and control rotational forces.