Simple high-school math problems

• Thread starter vegaaan
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation discusses simple high-school math problems, specifically graphing by stating x and y intercepts, using the slope-intercept form, and solving equations. The key concepts mentioned include the definitions of x and y intercepts, the slope-intercept form of a linear equation, and principles such as the distributive property and subtraction and division principles.
vegaaan
Simple high-school math problems!

I really need some help! I am pretty bad at math and am having an awful lot of trouble with my homework.

1.) How do I graph by stating the x and y intercepts? How do I figure out what those are?

ex. x + y = 7
3x - 2y = 6

2.) How do I graph using the slope intercept form (y = mx + b)?

ex. y= -2x + 3
y = x - 2

3.) And lastly, how do I solve this question

0.2(4n + 1) = 0.5(n-2)??
! I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1) Start with the definition of the x and y intercepts. What do they mean and how do they help you graph?

2) Look up the form y=mx+b to find out what m and b are, and learn how to find and use them.

3) Have you used the distributive property before?

The distributive property says that:

[tex]a(b + c) = a*b + a*c[/tex]

1) x-intercept when y=0
y-intercept when x=0

2) They are already in the y=mx + b form
Say y=2x-3, then m=2 and b=-3
that is, the gradient is 2 and the y intercept is at y=3 (since x=0, mx=0)

ok dude, it seems like your only doing y=mx+b graphs right now.

Since there's lines are always straight, we just get any 2 points and draw the line that connects them. any 2 are fine, but x and y ints are easiest to work out, because zeros easy to work with.

vegaaan said:
How do I graph by stating the x and y intercepts? How do I figure out what those are?

ex. x + y = 7
3x - 2y = 6

To find the x-intercept, let y = 0 and solve the equation for x.
To find the y-intercept, let x = 0 and solve the equation for y.

In x + y = 7, both the x and y intercepts are 7.

In 3x - 2y = 6, the x-intercept is 2, and the y-intercept is -3.

vegaaan said:
How do I graph using the slope intercept form (y = mx + b)?

ex. y= -2x + 3
y = x - 2

In the equation y = mx + b, m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

With regard to y = -2x + 3, you already know that (0,3) is a solution, since 3 is the y-intercept. Simply substitute another value for either x or y, solve the equation, plot the point, and graph the line. This is no different than graphing any other linear equation.

The same is true for y = x - 2. FYI, the coefficient of x is the slope, so in this case the slope is equal to 1.

And lastly, how do I solve this question

vegaaan said:
0.2(4n + 1) = 0.5(n-2)??

You solve it like any other equation. Start by removing the parenthesis by using the distributive property. This property states a(b + c) = ab + ac. So, your equation then becomes:

0.8n + 0.2 = 0.5n - 1

From here you can use the subtraction principle to cancel the 0.5n:

0.3n + 0.2 = -1

Use that principle again to cancel the 0.2:

0.3n = -1.2

Now use the division principle to solve for n:

n = 4

For the future, you should never post full solutions to homework problems.

z-component said:
For the future, you should never post full solutions to homework problems.

My bad, I'm new to this forum. Sorry about that.

1. How can I solve a basic algebraic equation?

To solve a basic algebraic equation, you can use the order of operations (PEMDAS) to simplify the equation and isolate the variable on one side. Then, you can use inverse operations to solve for the variable.

2. How do I find the slope of a line?

To find the slope of a line, you can use the slope formula: m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1). Simply plug in the coordinates of two points on the line and solve for the slope.

3. What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. In equation form, it is written as c² = a² + b².

4. How can I find the area of a triangle?

To find the area of a triangle, you can use the formula A = 1/2 * base * height. The base and height must be perpendicular to each other, and you can use the distance formula to find their lengths if necessary.

5. What is the difference between mean, median, and mode?

Mean, median, and mode are all measures of central tendency in a set of data. Mean is the average of all the values, median is the middle value when the data is arranged in order, and mode is the value that occurs most frequently. They all provide different information about the data set.