Electric Field of a Spherical Shell: Sketching E vs. r

In summary: Draw a picture of the graph of E for the first two cases (a and b) and then use your sketching skills to draw an average between the two cases. The graph should look like a straight line.In summary, a spherical shell with inner radius R_in and outer radius R_out, containing a total charge Q uniformly distributed and an interior empty of matter and charge, has an electric field of E=KQ/r^2 [radially outward] where K=9.0x10^9 for (a)r>R_out and E=0 for (b)r<R_in. For (c)R_in<r<R_out, the electric field is given by [KQ(r^3-R_in^3)]
kingwinner
1) A shperical sheel has inner radius R_in and outer radius R_out. The shell contains total charge Q, uniformly distributed. The interior of the shell is empty of matter and charge. Find the electric field for (a)r>R_out, (b)r<R_in, and (c)R_in<r<R_out respectively. Then sketch a graph of E versus r. [E=electric field]

These are the answers I get:
a) E=KQ/r^2 [radially outward] where K=9.0x10^9
b) E=0
c) [KQ(r^3-R_in^3)]/[r^2(R_out^3-R_in^3)] where K=9.0x10^9

My problem is for the sketching part on the interval R_in<r<R_out. How can I know the shape of [KQ(r^3-R_in^3)]/[r^2(R_out^3-R_in^3)]. Can I just do some cancellation like r^3/r^2 = r? Would it just be a straight line? But the expression seems like it's a rational function, so would it still be linear?

However, to sketch rational functions would require 3 full pages of analysis using calculus...is there any way to do a quick sketch for this part while getting the correct shape?

Does anyone have any idea?
Thanks for helping!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
How about using Maple? Assume convenient values for [itex]R_{out}[/itex] and [itex]R_{in}[/itex] (like 2 and 1, respectively). Then you can get an idea of the shape of the graph.

What is maple?

Would a rational function with a degree of 3 in the numerator and a degree of 2 in the denominator always gives something that is roughly linear for R_in<r<R_out ? I tried using some graphing software to graph it, and it seems quite linear for R_in<r<R_out
[but I don't know how to figure the shape out without a graphing software]

Maple is a computer algebra system that has graphing capabilities. It's available for free at just about every college and university in North America. But if you don't know what Maple is, then you could use a graphing calculator.

1. What is an electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on a charged particle at any given point in space. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is a spherical shell?

A spherical shell is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by rotating a circle around its diameter. In the context of electric fields, it refers to a spherical object with a uniform distribution of charge on its surface.

3. How is the electric field of a spherical shell different from that of a point charge?

The electric field of a spherical shell is different because it depends on the distance from the center of the shell, whereas the electric field of a point charge depends only on the distance from the charge. Additionally, the electric field of a spherical shell is constant at all points outside the shell, while the electric field of a point charge decreases with distance.

4. How does the electric field vary with distance from the center of the spherical shell?

The electric field varies inversely with the distance from the center of the spherical shell. This means that as the distance from the center increases, the electric field decreases. However, once you are outside the shell, the electric field remains constant at all points.

5. How can the electric field of a spherical shell be represented graphically?

The electric field of a spherical shell can be represented by a graph of electric field strength (E) on the y-axis and distance from the center of the shell (r) on the x-axis. The graph will show a constant value for E when r is greater than the radius of the shell, and a sharp decrease to zero when r is equal to or less than the radius of the shell.