Torque and angular momentum

In summary, a bee of mass M alights (lands softly) on a thin horizontal rod of mass 3M and length l which pivots frictionlessly about its center. The bee exerts a torque of 4g on the rod, which causes it to rotate about its center at a maximum angular velocity of 360 degrees per second.
killerinstinct
1. a bee of mass M alights (lands softly) on a thin horizontal rod of mass 3M and length l which pivots frictionlessly about its center.

a) what torque did it exert
b) angular acceleration of rod when bee lands.
c) maximum angular velocity when bee reaches LOWEST point?

try:
a) torque = r x F = lmg
b) torque = I a
lmg = a 1/12 (3m) l squared
a = 4g / l
c) use kinematics??

2. atwood machine with frictionless 1.00 kg wheel and radium 0.1 is suspended with two masses on a massless rope. mass A is 2.0 kg. B is 1.5 kg.
a) Relate torque to net force on each of the two masses b) acceleration? c) tensions on THREE?? ropes?

attempt:
a) torque = r x F. but what is r?
b) i know how to do it for massless wheel. but how to incorporate a massed wheel?
c) don't understand the question.

3. A cylinder of mass M and R SLIDES with initial velocity of V0 down an inclinded plane with angle theta. mu is kinetic friction. a) what is acceleration of the objects Center of MASS B) torque on cylinder C) acceleration of cylinder? d) what speed will the object stop sliding and starts to roll?

attempt:
torque = mu m g R = I a
wR= v, for rolling
sigma = w/2 t
how should i go thinking about this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
killerinstinct said:
1. a bee of mass M alights (lands softly) on a thin horizontal rod of mass 3M and length l which pivots frictionlessly about its center.

a) what torque did it exert
b) angular acceleration of rod when bee lands.
c) maximum angular velocity when bee reaches LOWEST point?

try:
a) torque = r x F = lmg
b) torque = I a
lmg = a 1/12 (3m) l squared
a = 4g / l
c) use kinematics??
a) Where does the bee land? How far from the center?
c) Since the acceleration is not constant as the stick pivots, using kinematics will be too hard. Hint: Is anything conserved?

2. atwood machine with frictionless 1.00 kg wheel and radium 0.1 is suspended with two masses on a massless rope. mass A is 2.0 kg. B is 1.5 kg.
a) Relate torque to net force on each of the two masses b) acceleration? c) tensions on THREE?? ropes?

attempt:
a) torque = r x F. but what is r?
b) i know how to do it for massless wheel. but how to incorporate a massed wheel?
c) don't understand the question.
a) You are given the radius.
b) You need to analyze forces on the two masses and the wheel. Combine those three equations to solve for the acceleration.
c) The atwood machine is suspended from a rope (assume it's attached to the ceiling); that's the third rope.

3. A cylinder of mass M and R SLIDES with initial velocity of V0 down an inclinded plane with angle theta. mu is kinetic friction. a) what is acceleration of the objects Center of MASS B) torque on cylinder C) acceleration of cylinder? d) what speed will the object stop sliding and starts to roll?

attempt:
torque = mu m g R = I a
wR= v, for rolling
sigma = w/2 t
how should i go thinking about this problem?
a) What forces act on the cylinder?
b) What torque do those forces exert?
c) The cylinder's center slows down, while it's rotation speeds up. At some point, the condition for rolling without slipping will be met--find that point.

1a) lands at end of the rod.
1c) conservation of mechanical energy??
4mgh = 1/2 I w squared??
can you type that out LaTeX for me?

2) torque = rF
Force of tension - m1g = m1a1 = -m1a
Ft-M2g=m2a2 = m2a
force on wheel (i'm stuck here)
2c) do this problem as a system??

3) gravity acts on the cylinder.
ah... i still don't understand the physics part of this...
I'd like to see the process (steps in solving this). i think that would help.
can i see the latex for this and i will expain it back to you to show you that i understand.

1. What is torque and how is it different from force?

Torque is a measure of the turning or twisting force acting on an object. It is different from force in that force can act in any direction, while torque acts perpendicular to the axis of rotation.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Mathematically, it can be represented as τ = F x r, where τ is torque, F is force, and r is the distance.

3. What is angular momentum and how is it related to torque?

Angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational motion an object has. It is related to torque by the equation L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. Torque can cause a change in angular momentum, just as force can cause a change in linear momentum.

4. How does changing the point of application of a force affect torque?

The point of application of a force affects torque because the distance from the point of application to the axis of rotation determines the lever arm, which is a crucial component in the calculation of torque. As the point of application changes, the lever arm changes, and therefore, the torque changes as well.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque and angular momentum?

Torque and angular momentum have many real-world applications, including the rotation of wheels and gears in machinery, the movement of a bicycle, the motion of a spinning top, and the rotation of planets and other celestial bodies. Understanding these concepts is also crucial in activities such as sports, dance, and acrobatics.