Solving Acceleration of 4kg Mass in Pulley System

In summary, we have a system consisting of a 4kg mass attached to one end of a light inextensible string on a smooth horizontal table. The string passes over a light smooth pulley and to its other end, a light inextensible string with masses of 3kg and 2kg attached to its ends is connected. If the system is allowed to move freely, it can be shown that the 4kg mass moves with an acceleration of 6g/11. The equations of motion for this system involve considering the forces exerted on the 4kg mass, including the tension in the string connecting it to the pulley. The 3kg and 4kg masses on the pulley will have accelerations
Bucky

Homework Statement

One end of a light inextensible string is attatched to a 4kg mass on a smooth horizontal table. The string passes over the edge of the table and to it's other end is attatched a light smooth pulley. Over this pulley passes another light inextensible string, with masses of 3kg and 2kg attatched to it's ends. If the system is allowed to move freely, show that the 4kg mass moves with acceleration of 6g/11.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/8569/diagramjy9.th.jpg

I'm having a bit of a problem from the outset getting the equations of motion. I don't think the diagram is correct. I feel like there should be another acceleration representing the movement of the pulley against the 4m mass, but I'm not sure how to represent it (and part of me thinks that it's covered by the tension t1. Any help on setting out the problem would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to use a Legrangian, is that what you mean by equations of motion? Yes, the mass on the table will accelerate too.

Mindscrape said:
Are you trying to use a Legrangian, is that what you mean by equations of motion? Yes, the mass on the table will accelerate too.

but how does that fit into the equations of motion?
from what i can see the tension 'connects' the 4m mass to the pulley system.

here are my equations of motion...i know the're wrong but i don't see how the acceleration of the 4m mass on the table fits in...the questions up till now have just been systems of pulleys with weights/more pulleys on them, we haven't encountered a mass on a table before.

4m mass on table: 4m ? = 4mg - t1
3mg mass : 3ma = t2 - 3mg
4mg mass : 4ma = 4mg - t2

Hello,

There are three forces exerted on the 4mg on the table:
4mg, normal force by the table, t1.
The first two forces are balanced off in the vertical direction.
The net force on the 4mg is only the t1 in the horizontal direction.
Therefore, the first one of your equations shlould be
[tex]t_1=4m\times a_1[/tex]

Do you think the 3m and 4m on the pulley have accelerations of the same magnitude but opposite direction ?

Best Regards

1. What is the equation for calculating acceleration in a pulley system with a 4kg mass?

The equation for calculating acceleration in a pulley system is a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 is the mass of the heavier object and m2 is the mass of the lighter object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do you determine the direction of acceleration in a pulley system with a 4kg mass?

The direction of acceleration depends on the relative masses of the objects on each side of the pulley. If the heavier object is on the left side, the acceleration will be downwards, and if the heavier object is on the right side, the acceleration will be upwards.

3. How does the mass of the objects on each side of the pulley affect the acceleration in a 4kg pulley system?

The mass of the objects on each side of the pulley affects the acceleration by altering the ratio in the acceleration equation. A heavier object will result in a larger acceleration, while a lighter object will result in a smaller acceleration.

4. What other factors can affect the acceleration in a 4kg pulley system?

Other factors that can affect the acceleration in a 4kg pulley system include the friction between the pulley and the rope, the mass of the pulley itself, and the angle at which the rope is being pulled.

5. How can the acceleration of a 4kg mass in a pulley system be increased?

The acceleration of a 4kg mass in a pulley system can be increased by increasing the difference in mass between the objects on each side of the pulley, reducing the friction between the pulley and the rope, and increasing the angle at which the rope is being pulled.